Hopeful Nicholls students respond to local casting calls

Every day the lure of being chosen to participate in a major motion picture compels many people to attend casting calls and apply for roles as extras in locally produced films. Two Nicholls students shared their experiences with casting calls for film projects currently under production in the New Orleans area.Melissa Anselmo, psychology junior from Harvey, recently and un-expectedly attended a casting call for a television mini-series titled “Elvis.” Anselmo and a group of her friends met with representatives of Louisiana Talent and Actors Casting Company during a recent open casting call held at Club 360 in New Orleans.

“Anyone could sign up,” Anselmo said, “but it was mostly people that they (employees of the casting company) picked out of the crowd.”

Anselmo and her friends applied for roles as extras when members of the company asked if they would be interested in signing up with the company.

“I just thought it would be cool to be in a movie,” Anselmo said.

Anselmo’s sister was chosen to participate in a scene filmed at the courthouse in downtown New Orleans.

Randy Dow, mass communication senior from Chalmette, also attended a casting call for the same mini-series held by the same casting company (Louisiana Actors and Talent) at Clearview Mall.

“It moved fairly quickly, but a lot of people were in line for the casting call,” Dow said.

Neither Anselmo nor Dow had ever participated in a film production before.

“At first I didn’t know what I had gotten myself into,” Dow said. “It’s going to be fun once I get an actual part in a movie.”

Aspiring actors were not required to bring rsums to the open casting call, and no previous film experience was required.

Applicants were, however, photographed for the casting company’s records.

Both students registered with Louisiana Actors and Talent’s database for a yearly fee of $25. This insures that Anselmo and Dow will be considered for roles in the company’s future casting projects, which include upcoming films starring Lindsey Lohan and Johnny Depp.

Neither Anselmo nor Dow has yet been chosen for filming, but production on the mini-series is still in progress. Their hopes remain high. Both students agree that, while they would not choose to pursue full time acting careers, they would definitely audition for roles as extras in the future.