‘Meet the Fockers’ film inspires real dating tips

Picture it. A college female meets a very special guy. Things couldn’t be more perfect, but now that special guy has asked her to meet his parents. At this point, visions of a “Meet the Fockers”-style catastrophe are most likely running through her head, but she need not fear. Counseling services and Nicholls students offer a few tips to help make those awkward first meetings a little more comfortable. In order to help with making a good first impression, Jizette Heims, a counselor with the University counseling center, suggests volunteering to help if there are dishes to be done after dinner at his or her parents’ home.

Heims also suggests bringing flowers, wine, or an interesting book as a hostess gift. This is traditionally appropriate when students invite a new girlfriend or boyfriend to meet their parents in the parents’ home.

Heims also recommends that students concentrate not only on the impression that they make on the parents whom they are meeting, but also the impression that the parents are giving of themselves.

“Don’t put all the emphasis on them liking you. What about you liking them?” Heims said.

Heba Algazzar, marketing junior from Kenner, suggests that young women take care with their personal presentation when meeting parents for the first time.

“Appearance is a must, (wear) something classy and confident,” Algazzar said.

Clint Costanza, pre-medicine junior from Holden, suggested that boyfriends and girlfriends help break the ice by talking to both parties, parents and dates, about each other ahead of time.

“Prepare them (parents). Tell them about her likes and dislikes.” Costanza said.

Nicholls student Lorry Estay, family and consumer sciences senior from Larose, and mother of two teenagers offers advice for parents who are preparing to meet a new boyfriend or girlfriend.

“Some people are naturally quiet. Try to get them to talk. Ask them about themselves,” Estay said.

If the person still seems reserved, Estay recommends that parents start up a card game or another activity that does not have to involve a lot of conversation.

Estay also suggests the following tips for students who want to make a good impression with a new boyfriend or girlfriend’s parents.

“I look for honesty,” Estay said “Most of the time parents do their homework. If they ask you questions, make sure you’re honest.”

If, despite the best efforts of both parties, the first meeting with his or her parents does not go well, Heims suggests that the new couple approach the problem together. Talking about this issue may present ways to alleviate tensions, or minimize the amount of time spent with Mom and Dad.

“It’s not the parents you’re dating,” Heims said.

Finally, Heims advises students to just be themselves. As long as the students are comfortable, others will be too.