Student dies in house fire

Jocelynn Raquel Smart, a 23-year-old senior in the cardiopulmonary care science program, died in a house fire on Dec. 15.Smart was a graduate of Central Catholic High School and was planning to become a respiratory therapist after graduation. She had majored in nursing since she entered Nicholls in 1999.

Smart was a full-time student who was involved in many activities at Nicholls State. She played intramural flag football, basketball and volleyball. Smart was also the sergeant at arms and committee chair for her sorority, Delta Sigma Theta. Smart loved sports, any competition and Delta Sigma Theta events in general.

“Jocelynn loved to compete; she cried if she won or lost, and boys would [even] call her Ray Lewis,” Tiffany Leake, Delta Sigma Theta vice president, said.

Delta Sigma Theta president and Smart’s roommate, Jade Campbell, described Smart as motherly and caring.

Both Leake and Campbell said that Smart was very humorous.

“She always knew how to make other people smile,” Campbell said. According to Leake, Smart loved God and was very dedicated to school and her sorority.

Campbell said that Smart was a study-holic. “She hated to make bad grades and always talked about school,” Campbell said. “She cared about school a lot.”

Leake said, “She stayed on top of everything [even though] she was very involved in a lot of things.”

Leake also said that Smart would want to be remembered by the fact that she was always able to overcome obstacles and how she never gave up on anything.

“Jocelynn has taught us that life is too short to hate,” Campbell said. “She embraced differences and blessed everyone with her love.