Students debate presidential election at first speech forum

Bush supporters won the first speech forum of the fall semester in the Cotillion Ballroom Monday night with a vote of 162-114. Opposing sides sat facing each other as Aaron O’Neil, associate professor of mass communication, opened the forum and then handed it over to moderator Hollie Garrison, public relations senior from Thibodaux.

The topic of the forum was “Resolved, that John Kerry would be a better choice for U.S. President than George W. Bush.” O’Neil explained that Kerry’s name was placed first in the topic due to the flip of a coin.

Chris Gautreaux, history senior from Houma, was the speaker on the pro side, and a last-second replacement for Jana Hubbel, English education senior from Shriever, because she could not be excused from class to speak. He started his speech with the question, “What could $137 million dollars buy?” referring to the money the United States has spent on freeing the Iraqi people. He went on to give examples of how it could have been spent to help people in America. His speech was an explanation of why Bush is wrong for Louisiana, America and foreign affairs.

“Why do we need George W. Bush?” Gautreaux asked. “The answer is simple: we don’t.”

Natasha Busch, public relations senior from Denham Springs, spoke for the con side. She started by remembering the tragedy of Sept. 11 2001.

She spoke on three main points by saying that Kerry is indecisive, Bush is a proven leader during turbulent times and Bush has established a new government in Iraq. She ended by asking students, no matter their political leanings, to vote on Nov. 2.

“Do we, as a nation, want a President who says one thing to one group of people and then says something else to another group of people?” Busch asked. “If that’s what you want then that’s what you’re gonna get with Kerry.”

After both speakers finished, the floor was opened to audience members who were given three minutes each to express opinions. Opinions ranged greatly and some speakers were booed, hissed and cheered by the divided crowd. One pro-Kerry student ended by saying he knew Bush sucked, but Americans need to give Kerry a chance because they do not know yet if he sucks.

The next speech forum topic will focus on embryonic stem cell research and will take place during the second half of the semester. Anyone interested in participating should call O’Neil at (985)448-4584