Inside the pressbox

Best football traditions listed

There are many reasons why college football is considered by many to be the greatest sport in the world. The pageantry, tradition and sportsmanship are all wonders for fans young and old.Join me as I take a look into some of the best college football traditions that make the sport one of a kind and second to none.

1.) To many football fans, tailgating is a form of art and religion. When compared to other sports, college football stands alone when it comes to tailgating. Each fall, millions of football fans gather together before each football game to host a tailgate party. Particularly in the southern states, tailgating is the top college football tradition because it’s like one giant party. From the fans hosting barbeques to playing football while they anxiously await the game, there is something for everyone to look forward to do during tailgates.

2.) The 12th Man tradition was created in 1922 by Texas A&M University at the Dixie Classic in Dallas, Texas against Centre College. The 12th Man is the reason A&M students stand for an entire football game. Aggie coach Dana X. Bible called fan E. King Gill from the stands and suited him up. Gill stood ready on the sideline throughout the rest of the game, which A&M finally won 22-14. When the game ended, Gill was the only man left standing on the sidelines for the Aggies.

Gill later said, “I wish I could say that I went in and ran for the winning touchdown, but I did not. I simply stood by in case my team needed me.”
When Aggie students stand during games, it is this spirit and loyalty they are remembering. They stand in readiness in case they are needed to go into the game like the original 12th Man, Gill. I love this tradition because it keeps the fans involved in the game like they should be.

3.) Aside from tailgating, there is no better college football tradition than hearing a school fight song when a team comes running onto the field. There are many great fight songs such as Michigan’s “Hail to the Victors,” Notre Dame’s “Victory March,” Tennessee’s “Rocky Top,” Oklahoma’s “Boomer Sooner” and Nicholls “NSU Fight Song.”

4.) One of my favorite college football traditions is when bands “Rock the House” with their music and dance moves during halftime performances. In other sports, halftime is when fans could take trips to the concession stand or restroom. But in college football, most fans stay in their seat in preparation of the band’s halftime show. As a friend of mine who attends Southern University said, “Halftime means showtime.” Just like football teams practice hard during the week, bands practice hard to make halftime great.

5.) Where else in sports can you see a full-fledged hatred like a college football rivalry? College football rivalries are the lifeblood of the game because they make the experience fun and exciting. It makes college football special because it gives fans that one opponent to look forward to playing on their schedule.

I remember reading an article of Sports Illustrated where a Florida State football player said, “I rather go 1-11 than to lose to the Miami Hurricanes.” For those of you who don’t know, Florida State is the University of Miami’s biggest rival.

6.) Whenever an underdog team pulls off a huge upset at home, fans storm the field and celebrate with their victorious team. Unfortunately in recent years, universities have stopped fans from rushing the field due to safety concerns of the players and fans. Although I agree with the universities about the safety of fans and players in post game celebrations, I still think that fans tearing down the goalpost after a win is one of the coolest traditions in college football.

7.) Overtimes in college football stand out, because they are exciting to watch due to each team getting one possession to win. In the NFL, the first team that scores in overtime wins while the other team doesn’t get a possession.

My favorite college overtime game of all-time occurred three years ago when Arkansas played Ole Miss in seven overtimes. The final score was 58-56, which is pretty amazing considering some teams don’t score 58 points in one whole season. Since both teams receive a chance with the ball, the college format keeps fans on the edge of their seats.

Chris Singleton can be reached at 985-448-4832 or at [email protected].