Student carjacked at gunpoint; suspect still at large

A female student was carjacked at approximately 1:30 p.m. yesterday in the parking lot between Babington Hall and Family Housing, according to University Police.University Police Chief Craig Jacuzzo said the student suffered no physical abuse and was not familiar with the carjacker. There are no suspects at this time, and University Police has not released the name of the victim. A BOLO, a “be on the lookout” alert for suspicious behavior, has been put out for the suspect.

The student described the suspect to University Police as a black male with an average build. Officers are not speculating if the suspect is a Nicholls student.

According to the victim’s description, the suspect wore a mask the entire time and black gloves. He wore a gray short sleeve T-shirt without a collar or buttons. The shirt had a pocket on the left chest area with a blue circular emblem on it. He also wore blue jeans and dark-colored shoes.

Steve Tullis, University Police investigating officer, said the victim was walking back from a class in Peltier Hall to her vehicle, which was parked in Lot 19 facing Peltier Park. As the student was getting into her car, she heard gravel moving in the parking lot. When the victim looked up, she saw the suspect about three steps away. He had a gun in his right hand pointed to the ground, Tullis said.

Tullis said the female was sitting in her car with her left foot still on the ground when the suspect approached the driver’s side of her car. She saw no one else in the area.

Tullis said the suspect spoke to the female, but she couldn’t make out what he said. According to University Police, the victim initially thought it was a prank and pushed the gun down with her hand. The suspect then pointed the gun about a foot away from her face and told her to move to the passenger seat. He then took over behind the wheel according to Tullis.

“We don’t know if this was a real gun or a toy gun,” Tullis said. “Until proven otherwise, we will assume it was a real gun.”

University Police reported that the vehicle then traveled along Ardoyne Drive and into the Country Club subdivision. The suspect made several turns, mostly right turns, but the victim wasn’t sure of the exact streets she was taken down. At some point, the suspect drove up to a driveway and told the victim to get out of the vehicle

“At that point she didn’t know if he was behind her but kept going,” Tullis said. “She went through some cane fields and jumped a ditch.”
According to her statement, she ended up near Ronald Adams Contractors, located on Highway 1, over a half a mile from the Country Club subdivision. She waved down a passing vehicle for help and then called 911. Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office was summoned at that time.

“It’s a joint investigation between Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office and University Police,” Tullis said. “We’re handling interviews and looking for any possible suspects on campus.”

The victim’s vehicle was found in a parking spot on the Ardoyne Drive side of Calecas Hall. Tullis said evidently the suspect drove the car back to campus, but no witnesses have come forward. Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office is currently processing the car for evidence.

The investigation of the incident will continue at Nicholls and in the area. Officers are speaking to residents in the Country Club subdivision and students in residence halls. According to Tullis, University Police is working with the victim to get a more detailed description of the mask worn by the suspect and the route the suspect took.

As more information on the crime becomes available, University Police will inform students through campus E-mail and faculty/staff E-mail and put out flyers on bulletin boards in residential areas, Jacuzzo said.

“We can’t take anything for granted when it comes to our own safety,” Jacuzzo said. “A lot of it has to do with how you handle yourself and carry yourself with a certain demeanor. The number one person to help themselves from being a victim is that person.”

Jacuzzo suggested that students plan their routes, walk in groups, become familiar with call box locations and keep a cell phone handy.

Tullis said, “I would suggest being very aware of your environment. I know we always say that, and it becomes clich. But especially in times like this, always make sure you’re with somebody as much as possible. If you feel unsafe, call University Police.