Nicholls honors a day of rememberance for veterans

Guest speaker Lt. Colonel Thomas Friloux spoke about his time in the Army National Guard at the Veteran’s Day ceremony held in the Quad on Nov. 9.

“Today is a day to remember those who have served and are still serving,” Lt. Colonel Thomas Friloux said at Nicholls State University’s Veteran’s Day ceremony on Friday, Nov. 9.
Friloux, guest speaker at the event and a member of the Louisiana Army National Guard, enlisted in January 1988 and acted in support of Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm.  He also served multiple combat tours in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.  
“Over the last 10 years, our armed forces have proven themselves in one of the most difficult environments this nation has ever faced,” Friloux said.  “Our men and women have displayed mental and physical toughness, but most importantly courage, under fire.”  
Friloux has earned decorations such as the Bronze Star Medal, the Purple Heart, the Louisiana War Cross and the Iraqi Campaign Medal.
“Service men and women don’t think about themselves as special or brave, they just say they’re doing their jobs,” Friloux said.  
“Our veterans have shown the power of liberty and earned the respect and admiration of a grateful nation,” U.S. Marine Corps veteran and coordinator of veteran services Gilberto Burbante said.  “On this day let us pay tribute to those who continue to serve and served the country we all love, America.”  
Nicholls was recognized for the fourth consecutive year as a Military Friendly School by G.I. Jobs magazine, an honor given to the nation’s top 15 percent of schools doing the most to embrace active military and veteran students and help them succeed.
Nicholls continues to make special efforts to accommodate the veteran student population from an academic standpoint as part of the university’s 2011-2016 strategic plan.  The University offers priority service to military members during enrollment and registration.  Veterans who have received an honorable discharge are also exempted from admission criteria.
“We have as a priority the recruitment and retention of veterans,” Larry Howell, United States Air Force veteran and Nicholls Executive Vice President, said.  “We want to give them the help and support they need to be successful at Nicholls State.”
The University serves an estimated 200-student enrollment of veterans and those veteran students who were in attendance wore black Nicholls veteran shirts to distinguish themselves from the crowd.  
Hilton Johns, a member of the United States Marine Corps and a Nicholls student, led the invocation, and Hans Allen, also a member of the Marine Corps and a student, led the benediction.  
Members of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia sang the national anthem at the ceremony held in the quadrangle and students from Generations Teaching Generations program led the Pledge of Allegiance.  Alexandra Stoufflet, a Nicholls student, sang “God Bless America.”  Students from the MAX Charter School performed the Star Spangled Banner and the Thibodaux High School JROTC was in attendance to present and retire the colors.  
According to the United States Census Bureau, there were 21.5 million military veterans who were living in the United States in 2011.  The amount of veterans in the United States who are 65 and older was an approximate 9.2 million while the number of veterans younger than 35 was estimated at 1.8 million.  
The most recent information by the U.S. Census Bureau also indicated 26.3 percent of veterans who are 25 and older have attained a bachelor’s degree by 2011 in comparison to 28.5 percent of the total population who earned a bachelor’s degree or higher.  
For information about Nicholls services for veterans and active service members, contact the office of veteran services at 985-448-4208.