In Memory of Michael

Recreation center gymnasium decidated to former student
Denise Childs, Michael’s mother, Amari Childs, Michael’s brother, and Kejhirah Duncan, Michael’s daughter, gathered on March 9 as the recreation center gym was named in Michael Childs’ honor.

Michael Childs, former Nicholls student from 2001 to 2003, embraced a personality that many characterize as unforgettable during his time at the University.  
Childs died in 2006 while trying to rescue someone from drowning.  
His efforts to provide Nicholls students with a recreation center are now unforgettable as the gymnasium in the Harold J. Callais Memorial Recreation Center was dedicated in his honor on Saturday, March 9.  
Childs, a former management major and Student Government Association senator, gained an interest for promoting the need of a recreation facility at Nicholls as he traveled to other universities like LSU, UL Lafayette and Southeastern with the school’s intramural basketball team.  As he traveled to more universities, he began to wonder why Nicholls lacked a similar facility.  
Mike Matherne, director of campus recreation center, said, “I think Mike truly understood why Nicholls students deserved a recreation center similar or better than other schools around here.”  
After the original referendum to fund the recreation center was defeated by 16 votes in the spring of 2002, Childs created a petition that got 1,000 signatures to add the referendum back to the ballot for the fall semester.  
Students who voted for the referendum knew they would not see it built during their time as students, but Matherne said it took a tremendous amount of foresight from Childs and other students to realize the importance of the recreation center to the University’s future.  
“His fellow students thought very highly of him, and he ran with the ball when it came time to rally support for the recreation center,” Matherne said.  
Eugene Dial, vice president for student affairs and enrollment services, said, “It was a very heated issue at the time and Michael was someone who was very passionate for it.”
Dial said it was the first time in his career at Nicholls where the general population of students rather than the elected student leaders supported a petition initiative.  
“Without taking that lead, there probably would not be a recreation center today,” Dial said.  
Because of his involvement with the SGA and his dedication to the petition for the recreation center, the SGA thought it was appropriate to recognize the student leader’s contributions and name the student-funded gymnasium in his honor.  
It is the first time in several years that any University space was named in honor of a student since Millet and Zeringue Halls were rededicated in 2009.
At the dedication ceremony, Childs’ family and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity brothers remembered him as a driven, charismatic student who left a huge impression on the University.   
“Both his brother and mother were at a loss for words when they learned we wanted to dedicate it in his honor,” Matherne said.
He said Childs had a desire to leave the University with something better for students than when he arrived.  
“Now Michael is truly unforgettable since the gymnasium will bear his name forever,” Matherne said.  “Every day when I walk in this building, I thank Mike.  If not for him, I’d still be operating campus recreation out of the pool office.  Now, there’s not a day that goes by where at least 800 students don’t come through these doors-1,200 on intramural nights.  We’re changing lives here.”