Mardi Gras thrives in Thibodaux krewes

During carnival season, five parades bring glittering lights, bright costumes and crowds of families to Thibodaux for the Mardi Gras celebrations, because of its unique flavor. The five parades are Ambrosia, Shaka, Cleophus,Ghana, and Chronus.Many locals and travelers visit Thibodaux during carnival season because of its hometown atmosphere.

“It’s family Mardi Gras,” Kathy Terracina, president of The Thibodaux Chamber of Commerce, said. “It’s much smaller, and it’s a good time for people to walk up and down the street and see someone they haven’t seen in a while.” Terracina hopes that students on campus are spreading the word to their friends.

Phong Truong, freshman from Vietnam, shares his past Mardi Gras experiences.

“It’s fun,” Truong said. “Everyone gets excited. We gather and have dinner together and watch the parades.”

Scott Freeman, graduate English student from Thibodaux, said his favorite part of Mardi Gras in Thibodaux is the three days of vacation we get off from school.

“I like going to Peltier Park before the parades,” Ginny Prejean, English education senior from Houma, said.

Kristin Hartman, elementary education sophomore from Lockport said,” I like going to parades with my sister and her two kids. They [parade riders] throw to the children. I enjoy watching them have fun.”

According to Terracina, local restaurants, hotels, convenience stores and other businesses in the hospitality industry, typically yield the greatest economic profit during Mardi Gras.

Local parade route hot spots in the downtown area are preparing for this year’s carnival festivities, Grady Verret, owner of Peppers Pizzeria, The Piazza Bar, and Last Call, said. For Verret, part of the fun of Mardi Gras is watching revelers from out of town come to Mardi Gras to have fun.