Nicholls collects money for tsunami relief fund

The Nicholls community is being encouraged to donate money to the University’s tsunami relief fund. On Dec. 26, the southern regions of Asia were devastated by tsunami. The tsunami killed hundreds of thousands of people in more than eleven countries and millions of people have been left homeless. The Nicholls community is urged to help the people of Asia get back on their feet.

“I highly encourage students to help the people that have been affected by the tsunami,” Damian Breaux, SGA president, said.

Donations are being collected through Feb. 11, and the total amount of money Nicholls is hoping to raise is $8,200. An E-mail sent to the University said there are about 7,500 students and over 700 faculty and staff members, so reaching the goal can easily be accomplished if each student donates at least $1.

“[Nicholls] will probably be able to raise $8,200,” Donovan Tullier, a culinary junior from Morgan City, said. “You won’t get $1 out of every person, but some people may donate more.”

The money raised will provide food, water, medical care, temporary shelter and protection from disease for those who have survived.

Contributions will be divided between UNICEF tsunami disaster relief and The American Red Cross tsunami disaster relief. If a student would like his or her money to go to a specific organization, he or she can write a check to whichever is preferred of the two.

Nicholls is not the only university in Louisiana trying to help the victims of the tsunami. Universities like LSU and LA Tech are also making efforts to help support tsunami relief funds.

“It’s a good idea because those people need our help,” Rebecca Fontenot, psychology junior from Houma, said. “It was sad, and I think that those who can help should.”

According to bayoubuzz.com, Governor Blanco is encouraging Louisiana citizens to make financial contributions to any non-profit organization that is helping with the aftermath of the disastrous tsunami.

Those students interested in donating money to other charitable organizations nationwide can go to www.landrieu.senate.gov/tsunami/index.cfm for a list of relief fund programs.

Collection box locations:

*Fee Collections (Elkins Hall)
*White Hall (room 106)
*Peltier Hall (room 127)
*Polk Hall (room 220)
*Student Life (Student Union)
*Ellender Library (room 204-Director’s Office)
*Gouaux Hall (room 107)
*Betsy Cheramie Ayo Hall (room 172)
*Maintenance Building