Second Colonel drafted to NFL in recent years goes to Redskins

Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Year and former Nicholls safety Kareem Moore was drafted to the Washington Redskins May 18 in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft; he was 180th overall. Moore was the second player to be drafted to the NFL in recent years. Jacob Bender, former left tackle at Nicholls, is a right guard for the New York Jets after being drafted in last year’s draft.

“These NFL players are a reflection of the quality of student-athletes that Coach Thomas and his staff are recruiting as well as the high level of football competition within the Southland Conference,” University President Stephen Hulbert said.

The Nicholls coaching staff is extremely happy and proud of both players.

“It is really unbelievable,” Head Coach Jay Thomas said.

“To be at a small school and have two players drafted is really tremendous.”

Moore was drafted to the Redskins because of his stellar college athletic career. Moore had a career 181 tackles, 15 pass deflections and five interceptions.

His 149 yards gained on interception returns in 2007 broke the school single season record held since 1981 and helped him to be named the SLC Defensive Player of the Year.

“He got a lot of looks from scouts,” Thomas said.

Moore began his college career at the University of Mississippi and eventually transferred from McNeese in 2006 and was named Southland Conference Newcomer of the Year.

Due to minor knee surgery, Moore probably will not be at training camp before the second week, according to the Redskins Web site.

It went on to say that he is expected to play in preseason.

“It may not be until the third or fourth (preseason game), but we expect him to play,” Jim Zorn, Redskins head coach, said.

Thomas is confident in Moore’s ability to meet that goal.

“He’s got to be competitive in training camp,” Thomas said. “He has a ‘can do’ attitude,” Thomas said.

Thomas is not alone in his belief in Moore’s abilities.

The NFL Web site’s pick analysis praised his skills and instincts.

“Every year there’s one guy that comes out of the Southland Conference and Moore may be that guy this year,” it said. “He is a special teams demon.”

Thomas said he credits both Moore’s and Bender’s success to their work ethic and potential.

While at Nicholls, Bender played in every game for two straight years and earned all-conference and academic honors as a senior. He did not allow a sack his senior season.

Bender still talks to Thomas regularly, and Thomas said they have spoken about the need for Bender to really play well this season.

Because he wasn’t red-shirted at Nicholls, his first NFL season was mostly a growing time-lifting with the big boys and learning the game, Thomas said.

This upcoming season, however, expectations will rise. Thomas said he does not see Bender having any problems meeting those expectations.

“He is a hard worker,” Thomas said. “Nothing’s ever been given to him.”

Although Bender is from Maryland, Thomas said he fit right in when he came to Nicholls. Bender, who Thomas said was a beanpole when he first came to Nicholls, likes to hunt and fish.

The Nicholls coaching staff is optimistic about both players’ chances to be successful NFL players, both on and off of the field.

“Both of these guys are such good ambassadors,” Thomas said.

The reaction on campus to the news was excitement.