Office of Alumni Affairs names recent graduate assistant director

Jessica Harvey, a Thibodaux native and Nicholls graduate, is the first person to be named assistant director of alumni affairs. Harvey plans to bring her innovation and enthusiasm to the University community. Her duties include updating and modifying the University’s alumni Web site, writing articles for “The Colonel,” the organization’s semi-annual magazine, and fulfilling any additional tasks necessary to keep the Office of Alumni Affairs running efficiently.

Among these responsibilities, Harvey looks forward to focusing much of her attention on developing and bettering the organization’s database.

“I plan to make a difference and bring change by drastically improving our Web site – making it exciting and noticeable,” Harvey said. “I also plan to bring an added energy to the program to help attract future alumni and to convince them to stay active in their University community.”

The Office of Alumni Affairs works to keep track of all of the University’s past graduates and their contact information. The organization also funds scholarships and events, such as tailgating parties for football games, Harvey said.

Harvey is a 2006 Nicholls Honors graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in English. She is currently working to finish a Master of Arts in English at Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, where she teaches remedial English courses.

In her free time, Harvey enjoys reading, writing poetry, watching movies and spending time with husband Graham and 10-month-old beagle Tribble. She describes herself as punctual and outgoing and a little overzealous.

Among Harvey’s heroes are Allen Alexander, associate professor of English and director of retention, John Doucet, associate professor of biological sciences and director of the University Honors Program, Michelle Theriot, assistant professor of English, and Lindon Stall, instructor of English.

“Their love for teaching and writing inspired me to not only go to grad school but to love research and the acquisition of knowledge in general,” Harvey said. “I owe my current position at Nicholls and my current 4.0 GPA in grad school to their devoted and engaging teaching and mentoring styles.