Students can have powerful voices, should use them to change the world

During the ’50s, college newspapers were among the first to start printing articles discussing Civil Rights. During the ’60s colleges across America became tools for change and progress, with students taking over buildings and demanding equal rights for minorities and women. During the ’70s, well, during the ’70s things got a little hazy but I believe that things are getting back on track. For as long as people have been reading dirty rhymes off of cave walls, those involved in education have also been the ones who lift their voices and tell the ones in charge how they think things should be done.

Plato, one of history’s most famous teachers – and students – of all time, was also a life-long critic of government.

Often, as students, we ask ourselves if our opinions and thoughts really matter. After all, what do we know?

While most of us do work, the jobs aren’t exactly serious. So why does our opinion count? Because we are actively learning the things that our world is made of.

While we’re taking Middle Eastern History, our country obligingly invades another county and provides us with a real-life workbook problem.

This allows us, intelligent beings that we are, to have a different perspective of world events. This is why the Founding Fathers wanted to offer education to everyone, we’ll pretend it was all, school-age children.

They knew that it is with education that we can overcome the prejudices and limitations of the mind that so many are born into. Plus, when you read you get to work inside.

Some refer to this generation as the unluckiest one in all of history. In some ways that may be true. The polar caps are melting, the Dow Jones just won’t bounce back and we still have the old standbys of war, plague and disease.

However, we may be the lucky ones after all. We have to solve these problems in order to ensure our survival – so we will. The people who will solve the problems will likely come from a college or university somewhere.

So fellow college students, speak up! What you have to say is important. If the Greek thing isn’t for you, find something that is. Don’t sail through your years here at Nicholls without getting involved or not having your say.

The ideas and thoughts you develop here might save the world someday.