Board of Regents selects new leader

Sally Clausen, former president of the University of Louisiana System, began her role as Commissioner of Higher Education last month. The Board of Regents Selection Committee nominated Clausen for the position in February. The Board officially named Clausen the new commissioner on February 28 at a meeting held at McNeese State University in Lake Charles.

“I am honored that the Board of Regents has placed their confidence in me to lead Louisiana public higher education into a future that will demand excellence at every level from our colleges and universities,” Clausen said in a press release from the Board of Regents. “My focus will be to continue progress in the areas of workforce development, accountability and expanding student access and success.”

In addition to her tenure as UL System President from July 2001 to July 2008, Clausen’s background includes serving as Southeastern Louisiana University president from 1995 to 2001, employment with the Office of the Governor from 1992 to 1995 and assistant dean of students and director of legislative and community relations at SELU from 1990-1991.

Clausen received a bachelors of science degree in education at Louisiana State University in 1967, followed by a masters of education and a doctorate of education in 1971 and 1980.

She has held authoritative positions with the East Baton Rouge Parish school board, LSU and the state.

Clausen’s various levels of experience and leadership has made her nationally known and respected, University president Stephen Hulbert, said.

“Sally Clausen brings an extraordinary background of leadership and higher education to her new role,” Hulbert said. “She is a wonderful new leader for higher education and the Board of Regents of Louisiana.”

Clausen will oversee the policies and decisions of the board. She is succeeding Joseph Savoie, who held the position for 12 years and now serves as University of Louisiana at Lafayette president.