Nicholls drum major shares experiences about music

Pride of NSU Drum Major David LeCompte, right, practices a song with band members on Monday.
Photo by: Jacob Jennings

David LeCompte, instrumental music education senior, discusses music and his role as drum major in the Nicholls band. LeCompte, a trombone player, has been in the band for four years and drum major for three years. After college, he plans to teach music at a local school.

Q. What exactly does the drum major do?

A. The drum major is the leadership position of a marching band. I conduct the band on the field at pre-game, half time and in the stands for football games and all events we perform in.

Q. How and why did you become drum major?

A. I was drum major in high school so when the position came open here at Nicholls I tried out [because] conducting music is what I love.

Q. What is your daily routine like?

A. I have my other classes, but then at 1:50, which is 10 minutes before band practice begins, I get any new music ready or I prepare our outdoor practice field for practice. Then on football game days, I am at school about 30 minutes before the band to get things prepared.

Q. What other experiences in music do you have?

A. This is my twelfth year playing music. I started when I was in the fifth grade. I currently am the director of bands at Covenant Christian Academy at First Baptist Church of Houma, and I am Music & Worship Associate at First Baptist Church of Houma.

Q. What do your perceive to be the best part of your job?

A. My favorite part of being the drum major is being able to be part of the main support and spirit group for the football team.

Q. What kind of music do you enjoy?

A. I enjoy Christian music, for example, Third Day, Casting Crows and Relient K.

Q. Is being in the band more work or more play?

A. Band is not all work, but we do have to work to get things done. Nicholls’ band is definitely much more relaxed than high schools and other major colleges. We usually do only two shows and one pre-game a season. We go to one away game a season to support the team. For example, last year we went to Sam Houston State University. We stayed in Houston and the Friday afternoon we walked the city and were tourists. Then went to the game on Saturday.

Q. What has been your best experience as drum major?

A. We went to an away game in San Antonio, and we were the only Nicholls support in the stadium. We, approximately 100 members, were as loud as Texas State University’s student section, which was full. We helped lift the spirits of our players, which were losing, but they rallied back with our support to win the game.

Q. How did you get into music?

A. I am the first member in my family to play an instrument. I just stumbled upon it in the fourth grade when they tested us for it, and I have been playing since. The more I played the more my love for music grew. The support of my family has kept me going through the years, the good and the bad. It is only through God’s power that I have this talent.

Q. What do you want the University community to know?

A. I want to challenge all Nicholls students to support the athletics of Nicholls and come out to the games. You will see how exciting and fun football games or other games are.