Senior softball players reflect on careers

Senior infielder Tori Lay steps up to bat during the March 19 doubleheader against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

The Colonels softball team is led by three seniors that are playing their last seasons of collegiate softball and all three ladies agree that they’ll miss their teammates.

The seniors are infielder Tori Lay, pitcher Carlee Winkemann and midfielder Whitney Roan. Head coach Jenny Parsons said that the seniors’ biggest assets to the team are their experience and leadership.

“They work hard,” Parsons said. “They’re all really good kids. When you get down like we’ve been down, the people that you go to are your upperclassmen, and they’ve stepped up a lot this year.”

Parsons said that Lay is hitting solid from the field, Winklemann does a great job on the mound and Roan has played three different positions this year. She went on to say that she likes for them to give the younger players guidance, and that’s what they do.

Lay’s career as a Colonel has been similar to a roller coaster ride and she said that playing softball has been “quite an experience.”  Lay said she’s proud of the fact that she “stuck it out.”

Softball was not always easy for me,” Lay said. “When I came in as a freshman, I started but then had a tough two years. It’s hard coming in and starting your first year as a freshman because you think this is going to be the best year of your life, and then I didn’t start my sophomore year. I would get put in the game, and that was tough to get used to, so I’m glad I stuck it out.”

Parsons noticed the senior infielder’s ups and downs and is happy to see her have as good of a year as she’s having.

“Tori Lay has been here for all four years, and I’m happy she’s having the year she’s having. She hasn’t been given a lot of opportunities because of people playing in front of her, but she’s having a good year offensively,” Parsons said.

Lay said with a smirk on her face that the best part about playing softball is that she gets to tan and exercise, but then said that she “loves her teammates.”

Lay’s teammate and fellow senior Winklemann said that her favorite thing about softball is the drive she has for the game. Winklemann is a junior college transfer and has spent the last two seasons pitching for the Colonels.

“Coming in as a junior, you’re expected to be a leader with girls that you don’t know so it’s been a growing experience, but I’ve learned a lot from these girls and wouldn’t trade them for anything,” Winklemann said.

Roan said her career highlight was going 5-for-5 in a game when she was a freshman where she also had three steals. But, she said, that was when she “was fast.”

Roan started a lot of games for the Colonels over her career and is thankful for the opportunity to get to play with her teammates.

“Not a lot of people get to experience it, and I’m glad that I was able to,” Roan said. “Being around these girls and making new friends has been awesome.”

As the seniors move on in their life and leave behind their collegiate careers, Parsons said that they’ll be remembered for their leadership.

“I’m proud that they’ve been here for the years that they’ve been here, and I’m proud of what they’ve done here academically and athletically,” Parsons said.

Senior infielder Whitney Roan waits for the ball during the March 23 game against Louisiana State University.