Business administration senior passes away Aug. 17

Bryan Matherne poses with his cap and gown last week.

Bryan Matherne, business administration major from Houma, died Saturday, August 17, in the afternoon. Matherne was on the President’s List at Nicholls and was set to graduate this fall with a minor in marketing. Matherne graduated high school from Vandebilt Catholic.
Dr. J. Robert Field, assistant professor of marketing, had the privilege of working with Matherne in a few marketing classes and was impressed with Matherne’s skill set as a student. “Bryan was an extremely bright and intelligent student,” Field said. “Bryan could do anything when he put his mind to it.  Like many, he procrastinated, but he seemed to perform quite well under the pressure of deadlines.” 
According to Field, Matherne’s enthusiasm and attitude distinguished him from other students he has taught.
“Bryan always had a smile on his face and it was infectious – you couldn’t help smiling around him because of it,” Field said. “He had the ability to make people laugh, including me, with some of his ‘out of left field’ comments that were right on point in class discussions.”
Unbeknownst to Matherne, he made a lasting impression on many people, especially Field in a very memorable way.
“When any member of the Nicholls family passes away, it impacts you – always,” Field said. “I was deeply saddened to hear about Bryan’s death. I heard about his passing Monday afternoon from another student who was one of Bryan’s friends.  Bryan stopped by my office this summer for a visit.  We talked about the spring research class and the projects and then he told me of his plans to attend graduate school after graduation this fall.  He smiled and said, ‘Yeah, kind of a shocker: me going to grad school. But I know what I want and the masters degree is the way to get it.'” 
“We spoke about different programs and schools and I gave him some advice on what to look for in a graduate program,” Field said. “His parting comment to me was ‘I’ll see you around in the fall, Doc, maybe as a guest speaker in marketing research!’ He smiled and laughed on his way out of my office. That is how I will remember Bryan.”
Matherne is survived by his parents, Jeff Matherne and Missy Matherne; brother, Tim Matherne and wife, Jamie; sisters, Taylor, Mallory and Bailey Matherne and Megan Matherne LeCompte and husband, Cory; nephews Cohen and Trace LeCompte; niece, Abby Matherne; and longtime girlfriend, Jessica Daigle.