Bite of the Arts

Culinary Institute celebrates 17th annual fundraiser tonight
Bite of the Arts 2012

The Chef John Folse Culinary Institute will be exploring German cuisine tonight at the 17th Annual Bite of the Arts fundraising gala.
This year’s theme is “Oompah! Celebrating Louisiana’s German Heritage” and the food and hors d’oeuvres being served will reflect the strong influence Germany has on Louisiana cuisine.
According to Chef Randy Cheramie, executive director of the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute, this fundraiser funds numerous things for the culinary department.
“This fundraiser helps us to buy equipment that breaks at a moment’s notice, faculty development and helps fund student scholarships,” Cheramie said. “It is the most important fundraiser that the department has.”
During the event, the Lafcadio Hearn award, which honors significant contributions to the culinary profession, will be given to Chef Gunter Preuss who, according to Cheramie, is an icon of Louisiana cuisine.
The event will include a sit down dinner and a silent auction in the student union ballroom, which will be elaborately decorated by Blaine Kern Studios.
This event will be student worked along with the help of Tony Stewart, the visiting chef for this year’s gala.
“Tony Stewart is a very well-respected chef in the area, and he has been with our students all week mentoring them and giving them inspiration just in time for the gala,” Cheramie said.
“This event has come a long way since its start 17 years ago, and the gross profits have skyrocketed.”
According to Cheramie, the department has raised over $100,000 for the culinary institute from this gala in past years, and they are hoping to continue this tradition.
Tickets are sold out and the culinary institute is expecting a turnout of 340 attendants.
Cheramie said, “We are hoping that it will be a great night, and I can’t wait to see how the turnout will be.”