Website hosts photography event, asks for submissions

ADAY.org is hosting a photo shoot asking participants around the world to take a camera and capture their daily life on May 15.

ADAY.org’s mission is to use photography to create, share and inspire perspectives on daily life today and tomorrow.

The site is hosting this event for participants around the world to take pictures in three categories: home, work and connections. The photos will be sorted into these main categories and then sorted again into subcategories to ensure that participants can express their take on their life. These categories were created to make sure the pictures are not just uploaded to a database and lost.

Anyone that has something to share with the world through photography is invited to join the project. Any camera can be used, from a cell phone camera to a homemade one.

The photos uploaded to this project will be displayed online. Some of the photos selected will be used for a book, “A Day In the World,” to be published in October. The photos that are not selected will be saved for future research and inspiration. They will not be used commercially, and, if a participant’s photo is chosen, they will be contacted before publication. Participants’ photos will not be sold. The pictures will also be used to make a giant visual puzzle.

Participants will have from May 15 to 22 to upload photos of their daily lives. People can upload a maximum of 10 photos. The site will open for submissions on May 15.

ADAY.org wanted to make sure not to hold submissions near any major holidays so that there would be a variety of situations in the photos.

ADAY.org is a Swedish non-profit foundation initiated by Expressions of HumanKind. According to the site, the foundation supports scientific research and education centered on the photographic image and the written word.

“This project will allow people around the world to create a priceless collection of images, to boost understanding and enhance research and education,” Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, said about the site.

Some students feel strongly about photography’s expressive qualities.

“Photographs tell a story and capture raw emotions. They are important to me because they are a way to keep memories and the timeline to your life,” Lauryn Friloux, general studies junior from Luling, said.

“Photography to me means a memory set in stone that can never be forgotten. Pictures are important because they allow you to go back to another time and relive the moment,” Matt Arnold, marketing junior from Houma, said.

More information on exactly what to shoot and how to upload the photos will be sent to the participants that have joined the project as the date approaches. For more information about the project and how the pictures will be used, visit ADAY.org.