Raising Cane’s founder visits campus to talk business

Todd Graves, Raising Canes founder and CEO, is accompanied by Raising Cane II as he spoke to students in Powell Auditorium Wednesday.
Todd Graves, Raising Cane’s founder and CEO, is accompanied by Raising Cane II as he spoke to students in Powell Auditorium Wednesday.

Raising Cane’s founder and CEO, Todd Graves, visited campus yesterday to speak to students about the business that began as a class project more than 15 years ago. The lecture was part of a series of local events that took place in honor of grand openings of restaurants in East Houma and Thibodaux.

“I have a lot of friends down there,” Graves said, explaining his reason for opening the Thibodaux location. “I love the culture and the people, and I wanted to be by Nicholls because college students love our product.”

Graves’ success story began when he was a student at Louisiana State University. His plan was to create a fast-food chain that would only sell chicken-tender products. At a time when chicken was America’s favorite food, Graves thought he had a good idea, but the professor turned down the plan immediately, saying it simply would not work. Graves received the lowest grade in the class.

“The management plan was good, but the concept of selling chicken finger meals in South Louisiana would never work because a restaurant needs variety, and so they thought the concept was bad,” Graves said. “But I believed in myself; I believed in the concept. If people tell you something can’t be done, it makes you strive so much more to do it.”

With a cheap suit and briefcase, Graves went from banker to banker with his business proposition, receiving negative responses. He realized if he wanted to make his dream a reality, he would have to go at it alone.

After raising money in the risky commercial salmon fishing business in Alaska, he returned to Baton Rouge, where he opened the first Raising Cane’s fast-food restaurant, naming it after his yellow lab, Raising Cane.

Twelve years later, Raising Cane’s has over 80 locations in 13 states and is one of the fastest-growing, privately-owned companies in the country.

Graves said he works “unbelievable hours” to produce a business recognized for its friendly staff and quality food-a combination that seems simple but cannot be mimicked.

“You can’t copy culture, passion, our people or our brand,” Graves said. “We’re constantly growing.”

Like Graves, many entrepreneurs start off with a seemingly good idea but get discouraged when they realize the work required to put that idea into motion, Graves said.

“I knew it was going to be hard, but I didn’t stop,” Graves said. “Imagine how hard it is, and multiply that by infinity. Then, if you can overcome that, you can do it.”

This is the message Graves sent to the University community, particularly students, yesterday in a lecture at 5:30 p.m. in Peltier Auditorium.

“It all started off as a college dream and a college business plan, so they are the best group I can talk to,” Graves said. “I want to help college students to realize that whatever they want to do with the rest of their lives, whatever that is, they can do it. They can make it happen and make a difference and help people and the community.