Bayou Country Club to host Jubilee golf tourney

The University is holding a golf tournament Sunday at the Bayou Country Club in Thibodaux to raise money for the Bonnie J. Bourg Lecture Series, part of the 2009 Jubilee festival.Beth Galante, former New Orleans assistant district attorney and current director of New Orleans’ Global Green USA branch, a group dedicated to creating environmental-friendly buildings and cities, will be the featured speaker of the lecture series. The lecture, along with the Women’s History Month Luncheon, will be held in LeBijou Theater March 26 at 10:30 a.m.

The 18th annual golf tournament will be held Sunday to fund the speakers for the lecture series. Nicholls is looking for sponsors and golfers to participate in the tournament. Sponsorships begin at $25. Depending on the amount of their donations, donors will receive a plaque, a listing in the program, tournament entry for golfers and access to a post-tournament luncheon and awards program.

The entry fee for the tournament is $300 per team or $75 per person. The fee includes admission to the luncheon and awards program. There will be two tee times for the tournament, one at 8 a.m., the other at 12:30 p.m.

The lecture series is named in honor of Bonnie J. Bourg, one of the original faculty members at Nicholls when it opened in 1948. Bourg stayed on for 42 years, serving as an instructor, a dean and vice president of student affairs, the first woman to serve as a vice president at Nicholls.

For tickets to the luncheon, call the University Counseling Center at 448-4080 before Wednesday. Tickets are $15. For more information on the golf tournament, call the office of Student Affairs at 448-4021.