Sororities recruit new students on campus

Lauren+Pitre%2C+Public+Relations+senior+and+recruitment+counselor+from+Cut+Off%2C+shares+a+few+facts+with+girls+passing+in+the+Student+Union+about+soroity+life+on+Aug.+22.+
Photo by: Meagan Gervais
Lauren Pitre, Public Relations senior and recruitment counselor from Cut Off, shares a few facts with girls passing in the Student Union about soroity life on Aug. 22.

As brightly colored recruitment signs and greek letters begin popping up in the Quad and other areas on campus, Delta Zeta, Phi Mu and Sigma Sigma Sigma sororities are preparing to usher in a new generation of sisters.

Recruitment week began Wednesday with Greek 101, an orientation for those who have signed up for rush and for those wanting more information. Presentations were given explaining what potential members could expect, how much they would be expected to pay per semester and things to consider while going through the recruitment process.  Nine recruitment counselors disaffiliated from their respective chapters were also on hand to advise the girls going through the process.

“They’re supposed to be unbiased people who are there to listen to how the girls feel,” Vice President of Recruitment Lauren Pitre said. “It’s their job to be there and help them make the decision on which sorority to choose without being biased toward their own sorority.”

Tonight, active and new members will participate in Philanthropy Night. New members will visit each sorority and learn about the charitable works the girls do in the community. Small philanthropy projects will also be done relating to each sorority’s specific charity.

On Friday, new members will be able to see what sorority life is like through the slideshow presentations.

Saturday’s Preference Night is the most serious, Pitre explained. The evening will be “very emotional,” with the sororities singing songs and giving speeches to “showcase their sisterhood.” This is also the evening new members will pick which sorority they would like to join.

Pitre said new members are chosen through a mutual selection process. New girls will rank which sororities they would like to be in the most and the sororities compile a list of their favorite girls as well. Through a computer system known as ICS, sororities and new members will be matched up in order to produce a single bid for new girls. This differs from fraternities, Pitre said, because new fraternity members can pick from several bids while new sorority members will receive one bid each. These new bids will be presented to the girls on Sunday during a welcoming celebration.

These new members have many activities to look forward to during the year, Pitre said. During the Fall, the girls will participate in homecoming week by making floats and tailgating with the fraternities. They will also receive a “mentor” during Big Sis, Little Sis Week and become officially initiated into the chapter at the end of the semester. The Spring brings annual events like Song Fest and Greek Week, intramural sports and philanthropy work.

Pitre, who is also involved in SGA and PRSSA, said joining a sorority is a great way to grow and participate in many aspects of campus life.

“When I joined they really encouraged us to join other clubs, meet new people and get more involved. It’s also allowed me to branch out and meet new people.”

New girls, like Terese Duplantis, a nursing freshman from Houma, are looking forward to a great year with the active and new members.

“I’m excited to make new friends and get involved,” Duplantis said.