Heritage day to educate youths, celebrate French language

The University’s first French and Local Heritage Day will debut Friday in Le Bijou Theater and Bollinger Memorial Student Union from noon until 6 p.m. as part of the Jubilee Festival of Arts and Humanities.In many places throughout the country, French is considered a foreign language, but for those living in South Louisiana, it is a second language. The event will celebrate the major role the French language plays in this region, as well as at Nicholls.

French and Local Heritage Day will help people better understand many different aspects of the French language, such as food, music and French writings. Guests will also get a better understanding of why French is not spoken in Louisiana today.

“The event is a day of reflection on how the French language is doing in Lafourche and Terrebonne Parishes, as well as surrounding parishes,” Robin White, assistant professor of French and event coordinator, said.

To help reflect on how French is striving in Southeast Louisiana, scholarly discussions and presentations will be held by musicians, scholars, poets and teachers.

Other event activities include a Cajun Experience with Ann Vidrine-an interactive musical event to learn about instruments and music-and a Cajun petting zoo.

The purpose of this event is to bring people together, learn about the French culture and experience the way the language has influenced many lives at Nicholls and in surrounding parishes, White said.

The main goal, White said, is “to enjoy French.”

For more information about Jubilee, log onto the Jubilee Web site at www.nicholls.edu/jubilee.