Nicholls dining hall employees share a special bond

Eunice Gonzalez and Judy Slyvest pose at the front desk of Vernon F. Galliano Cafeteria where they work.

Eunice Gonzalez and Judy Sylvest are long-time acquaintances who work in the Vernon F. Galliano dining hall-the dynamic duo, aside from their professional relationship, began their friendship outside of Nicholls.
“We met about 25 years ago working at a restaurant in downtown Houma called Mellelo’s,” Sylvest says. “After that, we ended up working together again at the local Holiday Inn.” The industry and concept of hospitality play a big role in these women’s lives by bringing the two together and paving their way into the school’s dining services staff.
Gonzalez greets students every morning glowingly with bright eyes and a warm smile. Outside of school, she has four children (two sons and two daughters), many grandchildren, and one great-grandchild, yet she refers to the students as her “babies.” A loving embrace proceeded conducting her interview.
Q: How long have you been working at Nicholls?
A: About five years now.
Q: Do you have a favorite memory from over the years?
A: A memory? There’s so many! I can tell you that I love meeting the new students every year and getting to know them as the year goes by. My least favorite memories are when my babies leave me, but I know they are graduating and just starting their lives.
Q:  Whenever you are not at Nicholls, what can students expect you to be doing?
A: I like to walk, but I love to just sit at home and watch TV. In my younger years, I did a lot of reading.
(Gonzalez adjusted her glasses.)
Q: Do you have a favorite book, author or genre?
A: I can’t recall a specific author, but I love romance novels.
Q: What about a favorite TV show or channel?
A: My soaps
Q: Which one is your favorite?
A: Young and the Restless. All my others left. I’ve been watching this one for so long.
Q: And what is your favorite dish that gets served up in the cafeteria?
A: I love the chicken Caeser salads.
Later in the afternoon, Judy Sylvest watches over the lobby. Eager to spark conversation with students and excited to be publicized, she describes herself as a “wild child.” Sylvest also has four children (two sons and two daughters) and one grandson. When she is not running the register, she can be found overseeing the cafeteria floor or kitchens. Sylvest has been working at Nicholls since 2010.
Q: Do you have any hobbies or passions?
A: Yes! I love to sing and dance. I don’t go out dancing too much these days, but for birthdays I have a little rap that I like to sing for the students.
Q: I’ve got to hear that. It’s not my birthday, but can we please pretend?
A: (After an 8-bar verse, she smirks.) “That’s just a little bit of it.” (Her flow is classic.)
Q: It seems that music is a big influence in your life. What is your favorite?
A: Rock ‘n’ roll, baby! Elvis Presley, of course. And Fats Domino, too.
Q: Is there anything you like to read?
A: Sherlock Holmes is good; I like a good mystery. But my favorite readings are probably from Nostradamus. I’ve read most of his work, and I find it just fascinating the things he predicts and how relevant they are, today.
Q: Do you have a prized recipe or cook anything that is famous with your family?
A: I can make a mean spaghetti. Do it all from scratch. No canned anything.
Both women are residents of Thibodaux and can be found in the cafeteria every day. They agree that the best part about working at Nicholls is working with all of the students. Their background in service and interpersonal like-mindedness does not limit their duties to merely running a cafeteria, but also allows them to provide the Vernon F. Galliano dining hall with a homely atmosphere. The dining hall is open seven days a week with three meals Monday thru Friday, and two on the weekends. Menu options can be found at http://www.nichollsdining.com or accessed from the new and improved Nicholls mobile App.