Early to lead ULM basketball in Sun Belt Conference this year

Orlando Early, an assistant at Alabama for the past four years, will lead the Louisiana-Monroe men’s basketball program into Sun Belt Conference competition.Early, 37, replaces Mike Vining, becoming the sixth head coach in the 54-year-old Louisiana-Monroe program. He was introduced at a news conference Monday afternoon.

“We are very fortunate to have someone of Orlando Early’s caliber as our new men’s basketball coach,” athletic director Bobby Staub said. “He is the right fit for Louisiana-Monroe as we move into the Sun Belt Conference.”

During his years with Alabama, the Crimson Tide advanced to the NCAA Tournament all four years and won the 2002 SEC regular season championship.

“Obviously, we’re going to miss him because he did a tremendous job here for us,” Alabama coach Mark Gottfried said. “I think he’s going to be destined for greatness as a head coach. He’s got all of the qualities that somebody would want. So we’re excited for him and his opportunity. I think he’s going to do a fantastic job.”

Early was a four-year letterman for Gardner-Webb College, playing point guard and leading the team to the 1988 NAIA District 26 title. He graduated from Gardner-Webb in 1990 and took his first collegiate coaching job with his alma mater in 1993.

After two seasons at Gardner-Webb, Early took an assistant position at Western Carolina in 1995. He was promoted from assistant to associate head coach for the Catamounts in just his second season.

During his tenure, WCU won the 1996 Southern Conference title and advanced to the NCAA Tournament.

Early was also an assistant at UNC-Charlotte.

Early’s hire is pending the approval of the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors. He has agreed to a four-year contract with a base salary of $115,000 per year with additional incentives.