Scouting the Southland Conference teams

With the Southland Conference portion of the football schedule starting this week against Northwestern State, it is time for the Colonels football team to either put up or shut up in the quest to claim either its first ever Southland Conference title or secure its first playoff berth since 1996. In the words of famous boxing ring announcer Michael Buffer, “Let’s get ready to rumble!”
With the Colonels starting the second half of their season, lets take a look at each of the Southland Conference teams on the schedule.
Northwestern State (4-0, 1-0 SLC)
Against Northwestern this weekend, the Colonels will try to claim their first victory in Natchitoches since a 19-7 victory in 1990. The Colonels are 8-22 all-time against Northwestern and have not defeated the Demons since 2000. Last season, Northwestern defeated the Colonels 21-14 in Guidry Stadium on Fox Sports Net.
After six weeks, the number 18 ranked Purple Swarm attack of Northwestern remains undefeated. In the last three games, Northwestern outscored its opponents 195-46.
Northwestern leads the Southland Conference in scoring defense pass defense, rushing defense and total defense. The game will put the top rushing offense of the Colonels against the best rushing defense of Northwestern in the Southland Conference.
Key Players for Northwestern: running back Derrick Johnese and linebacker Jamall Johnson.
Sam Houston State (1-5, 0-1 SLC)
The Colonels will face Sam Houston State Nov. 1 in Guidry Stadium. In 18 meetings, the Colonels lead the all-time series with Sam Houston 9-8-1. The Colonels defeated Sam Houston 34-16 last season in Huntsville, Texas.
After winning the first game of the season against Midwestern State, Sam Houston dropped five consecutive contests to Montana, Baylor, Texas-El Paso, Tarleton University and Stephen F. Austin.
Sam Houston is last in the Southland Conference in total offense. It averages 314.2 yards per game and has only scored 14 touchdowns this season. Defensively, Sam Houston is second in total defense by allowing 335 yards and 22 touchdowns.
Sam Houston will take on McNeese State in Lake Charles this weekend.
Key Players for Sam Houston: quarterback Stevie Smith and defensive backs Mark Hughes and Andrem Higham.
Texas State (3-5, 0-1 SLC)
Formerly known as Southwest Texas State until this season, Texas State will venture into Guidry Stadium Nov. 6 to challenge the Colonels in the “Battle for the Paddle” game. The game will be shown on Fox Sports Net.
The Colonels have won two consecutive meetings against Texas State and lead the all-time series 11-10. “The Battle for the Paddle” tradition started in 1998 when torrential rains flooded South Texas, which postponed the game between the schools. The winner of the contest receives a pirogue paddle with the colors of each school and the final scores of each game decorated on each side.
Texas State leads the Southland Conference with 2,362 passing yards and averages 295.2 passing yards per game. Quarterback Barrick Nealy is fifth in the nation with a 311 yards per game average, with 18 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.
Although the passing game is clicking for Texas State, the tale of their defense is another story. The Bobcats are last in every major category defensively, which includes scoring defense, pass defense and rushing defense.
Texas State will travel to Nacogdoches, Texas to challenge Stephen F. Austin this weekend.
Key Players for Texas State: quarterback Barrick Nealy and wide receivers K.R. Carpenter and Antoine Harden.
Stephen F. Austin (4-3, 1-0 SLC)
After two home games against Sam Houston and Texas State, the Colonels will travel to Nacogdoches Nov. 15 looking for revenge after last season’s 17-14 loss to the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin.
With a 14-5 record against the Colonels, SFA traditionally owns the series. The Colonels have lost to SFA four consecutive times and have not won a game in Nacogdoches since 1986, the last time a Colonel team made the playoffs.
SFA has surprised many with a 4-3 overall record after a tough schedule, which included wins against Louisiana-Monroe, Northern Iowa and Portland State. SFA is second in pass defense and rushing defense, and third in total defense. They will host Texas State this weekend.
Key Players for SFA: quarterback Zeke Dixon and receiver David Crocker.
McNeese State (5-1, 0-0 SLC)
Despite a 55-14 loss to nationally ranked Kansas State on the road, the 2002 national championship runner-up McNeese is still the team to beat in the Southland Conference.
McNeese has the luxury of 17 returning starters, 11 of which were voted first or second-team All-Southland Conference at the conclusion of the 2002 season.
McNeese ranks third in the Southland Conference in total offense, fifth in total defense and first in red-zone offense.
The Colonels have lost four consecutive games against McNeese and trail the all-time series 18-9. The Colonels will also look for revenge after last season’s 33-21 loss to McNeese, which knocked them out of playoff contention.
McNeese will travel to Thibodaux Nov. 22 for showdown on Fox Sports Net against the Colonels.
Key Players for McNeese: quarterback Scott Pendarvis, running back Vick King and wide receiver B.J. Sams.