Students and fans “Hoop it Up” with Colonels basketball teams at Hoops Madness

Although the men and women’s basketball teams officially began their season Oct. 18, both teams threw their practice jerseys to the side and came together Thursday night in Stopher Gym to host a 3-on-3 basketball tournament for a game students called Hoops Madness.
In past years, Hoops Madness was known as “Midnight Madness.” Occuring during fall break, at the same time as the official start of the season Oct. 18, both teams instead decided to change the event to Hoops Madness.
Gary Gallup, associate athletic director for external relations and “Voice of the Colonels” radio broadcast, stepped out of the radio booth and did a little play-by-play live during the games.
“I’m having a great time. It’s fun to see the students in a 3-on-3 tournament. This is for the students, and we want them to have a good time,” Gallup said.
Louise “Do” Bonin, women’s basketball coach, said she appreciates everyone who participated in Hoops Madness.
“I am thankful to the members of the athletic department and campus community for helping us organize Hoops Madness,” Bonin said.
During the intermission of the festivities, both Bonin and men’s basketball coach Ricky Blanton introduced their teams to the audience.
Besides basketball action, the cheerleaders provided entertainment and cheers for the students and fans in attendance.
“I am really excited about tonight. We’ve been practicing really hard on the cheers to get the crowd involved,” Bridget Boudreaux, cheerleading coach, said.
Fans in attendance also received an opportunity to purchase Colonels merchandise like T-shirts, shorts, sweatshirts and hats.
The 3-on-3 basketball tournament featured 15 teams in a five minute, double elimination bracket consisting of mostly men team and one women’s team. The teams names were: Too White, L/O, Sweet Louise, Lights Out, T-Town, Ace Boys, Alcos, Buleedat, Underated, Delinquents, Don’t Know, Great Alliance, Chicken Monkey Turnips, Lady Jills’ and the Dream Team.
After nearly three hours of basketball, the top three teams remaining on the bracket were the Delinquents, who claimed the first place prize. Buleedat placed second, and Light Outs claimed third.
The Delinquents team members were Raymond Celestine, freshman from Gibson; James Ray, health and physical education sophomore from Gibson; and Ernest Nixon, accounting junior from Houma. Buleedat team members included Brad DeRoche, management sophomore from Houma; Brandon Ruttley, business administration junior from Houma: and Dustin Johnson, nursing junior from Houma. Lights Out team players are: Jessie Banks, freshman from Vidalia; Donald Fuselier, freshman from New Iberia; Paul Snowden, computer information systems sophomore from Harvey; and Hassan Williams, freshman from Westwego.
The cash prizes were $150 for the first place team, $75 for second place and $60 for third.
Because the championship game between the Delinquents and Buleedat went into overtime, the first place team was decided by a free-throw duel between Ruttley and Nixon. The Delinquents won the tournament when Ruttley’s free-throw bounced off the rim.