Melancon, Leonard crowned 2003 Homecoming royalty

Student Programming Association nominee Trent Leonard and Delta Zeta Sorority nominee Aimee Melancon were crowned Nicholls Homecoming king and queen during halftime of the Colonels football game against the Sam Houston State Bearkats Saturday night.
Stephen Hulbert, University president, crowned Melancon. Debbie Raziano, Homecoming Committee chairperson, and Eddie Hebert, president of the Nicholls Alumni Federation, also greeted the new king and queen. Grace Pecoraro, granddaughter of former Vice President for Academic Affairs Alice Pecoraro was the queen’s crown bearer.
Randy Dow, 2002 Homecoming King, and Stephanie Ledet, 2002 Homecoming Queen, exchanged gifts with the new royalty on behalf of the Nicholls Athletic Department.
Melancon, a mass communication junior from Houma, serves as a Nicholls orientation leader, vice president of new members of Delta Zeta Sorority, and a member of the Order of Omega Greek Honor Society and Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society.
“I had no clue I would win,” Melancon said, claiming it didn’t dawn on her that she was crowned until the ceremony on the field concluded. “I was shocked, and it was so surreal. I was like, ‘Oh my God! I’m Homecoming Queen!’ ”
Besides being crowned, Melancon said becoming friends and learning about the other members of the court were the most memorable parts during the past two weeks.
“Everybody got along, and we joked around a lot and had so much fun,” Melancon said. “If I hadn’t been on the homecoming court then I would have never had the chance to meet some of the people I did.”
Leonard, a general studies senior and government minor from Grand Isle, serves as vice president of the SPA, a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, a staff member with Career Services and a campus representative in the Walt Disney World College Program.
Leonard said because the cheers were so loud when Melancon was announced queen, he didn’t even know he was chosen as king. “I didn’t even realize I won until Aimee hit me and told me congratulations,” he said. “I was so surprised because I truly thought someone else would win. It’s quite an honor.”
Leonard said participating in the parade was most memorable part of the Homecoming activities. “Being able to wear the football jersey, ride around in the cool car and meet so many people was just so awesome,” he said.
Becky Melancon, Aimee’s mother and 1978 alumna of Nicholls, said she was not surprised that her daughter was crowned homecoming queen. “It was a special moment because we love Nicholls, and I know how much she loves Nicholls,” she said. “I always think that she’s a winner in my heart.”
The entire Homecoming court, chosen by Nicholls students through online voting, was introduced at halftime of the game. Darren Poree of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority escorted Jennifer Bourg of Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity; Cephas Williams of Food Advisory Association escorted Brandi Fontenot of Students Helping Our Community; Ken Vogt of Delta Zeta Sorority escorted Jenny Johnson of Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity; Jaret Hubbell of the Nicholls Concert Choir escorted Kelli Jones of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority; Christopher Thompson escorted Tameka Patterson of Food Advisory Board; Michael Griffith of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity escorted Jana Stewart of the Student Government Association.