Interior layout plans for recreation center complete

The architects contracted to design the recreation center have completed plans for the interior layout. “The architects and the University have come to a mutual understanding of exactly what we need,” Mike Matherne, director of campus recreation, said. “They have examined our electrical needs, our square footage needs, even down to where we will put the water fountains.”

The location of the recreation center is still undecided. The desired location, directly across Bowie Road from La Maison Du Bayou, has not yet been acquired from the current landowners.

“We are still waiting on the state to make some decisions,” Mike Davis, assistant vice-president for business affairs for procurement and physical plant operations, said. “There was an additional appraisal due in the middle of this month. At that point the state will take a look at the situation, and I am sure we will make an offer to the property owners at that point.”

If the desired location is unable to be acquired, a secondary site, the current women’s soccer field, has already been selected.

The entrance will include a juice bar area with a focus on healthy food and drinks. A recent change in the plans includes an outside eating area adjacent to the juice bar. An administrative area, with offices for staff, will be accessible from the lobby.

At the end of the lobby, a main gate will be set up. Only members will be allowed passed the main gate.

Basketball courts will be located directly past the main gate. Curtains will be used to section off the courts for badminton, volleyball and indoor soccer.

Past the main gate will be a cardio area filled with approximately 35 exercise machines. Several cardio machines will also be stationed at the entrance to the second floor.

“I am a little embarrassed to say that there is not a single piece of cardio equipment for students to use on campus today,” Matherne said. “So this is going to change everything.”

Adjacent to the cardio area will be the strength training area, which will include free weights and machines.

A changing area will be provided at the far left side of the building. It has been located there to allow access to a pool, which will possibly be added later if students wish.

“We are allowing room to grow, in case we need it,” Matherne said.

Other first-floor amenities include a racquetball court, laundry room, first aid room and equipment room. Any equipment used in the center, like volleyballs or basketballs, will have to be checked out from the equipment room. No outside equipment will be allowed.

The second floor will be accessed by stairwells and an elevator.

The second floor will be dominated by an indoor running track that will overlook the basketball courts and the weight training area. The track will be one tenth mile in length.

The second floor will also include a multipurpose room that can be used for aerobics, gymnastics, yoga and other needs.

A classroom will be located on the second floor to be used for classes on diet and exercise. It can also be used for meetings.

“The advantage of this recreation center is that it will be managed by the recreation department,” Matherne said. “Right now we have a great relationship with the department of athletics, but they get first priority. We cannot get into those gyms until about five every day.”

The administration is hoping that the addition of the recreation center will attract more students to Nicholls.

“We think this is going to have a tremendous impact on recruiting and retention,” Matherne said. “Students will no longer come here and ask, ‘Where is the rec center?'”

According to the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association 2002 report, The Value of Recreational Sports on College Campuses said that students who participate in recreational sports stay in school longer and graduate at a higher rate.

“I see it all the time,” Matherne said. “I see students who participate in our programs semester after semester. I think our program adds to retention. In intramural sports, students learn team building skills, how to work with other people and leadership skills.”

Eric Haydel, mass communication sophomore and chairman of the recreation committee, said the recreation center will serve as a marketing tool and improve the community.

“The building is going to enhance the community and give us things to do other than on the collegiate level,” Haydel said. “It will cut down on students having to go outside of campus and pay to use a different facility. Students will be able to get physically fit and not have to pay for it. We hope it will become a gathering place and something the students can take pride in.”

“We are trying to build things and improve the campus in order to retain students,” Davis said. “This will make it easier to recruit students and keep them here, because we will have a first class facility for them.