Goodfellas, Untochables win men and women intramural championships

After going undefeated in two months of regular season action, the Goodfellas and Untouchables emerged victorious over the IRIE and Phi Mu won the men and women’s 2003 intramural football champions of Nicholls last Thursday at the intramural field.
Although the IRIE and Phi Mu failed to claim the Nicholls championship, their season is not over. The top two teams of the men and women’s divisions from each Louisiana college will participate in the state intramural football championships at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge in late November.

Goodfellas 12, IRIE 0
In a contest where defense ruled, the Goodfellas defeated the IRIE 12-0 in the men’s intramural championship game.
After a half of scoreless football, the Goodfellas broke the tie when quarterback Duriel Hayes connected with wide receiver John Carroll to take a 6-0 lead. The extra point was good, and the Goodfellas led 7-0 with 12:39 left to play.
When defensive back Johnathan Kimble intercepted Hayes with five minutes left in the game, the momentum of the game shifted toward the IRIE. IRIE connected three consecutive passes after Kimble’s interception, and eventually scored on a trick direct snap play to wide receiver Brian Blank. But after a five-minute debate, the referees ruled the play illegal, which protected the Goodfellas’ 6-0 lead.
The Goodfellas sealed the victory a couple minutes later when Hayes intercepted IRIE quarterback Matthew Shelly’s pass in the end-zone and ran it back for a touchdown.
For the contest, the Goodfellas completed 33 percent of their passes, and IRIE completed 45 percent.
Leading the Goodfellas offensively was Carroll, who caught four passes. Cornish, Butler, Fairchild and Seals each caught passes for the Goodfellas.
Blank led the IRIE with five catches on offense and one interception on defense. Melancon and Shelly each caught passes for the IRIE. Untouchables 6, Phi Mu 0
In the women’s intramural championship, the Untouchables used a staunch defensive effort to defeat Phi Mu 6-0.
In the second half, Untouchables quarterback Jessica Williams’ touchdown run was the only score of the game.
For the contest, the Untouchables completed 44 percent of their passes and Phi Mu completed 27 percent.
Untouchables defensive back Torrance led the team defensively with two interceptions. Wide receivers Leblanc, Trosclair, Smart, Dangerfield and Walker caught passes for the Untouchables. Smart also collected a sack defensively.
Phi Mu defensive backs Rizk and Mayfield each claimed interceptions. Wide receivers Mayfield, Colwell and Boudreaux each caught passes for Phi Mu.