Domangue proposes student senate neutrality legislation

Student Government Association Arts and Sciences student senator Laurie Domangue is proposing a piece of legislation concerning a senate neutrality issue that stemmed from the Recreation Center referendum and the senate’s decision to support the referendum.
“This was a very controversial issue, and many students felt strongly opposed to it, so having their representative body take a stance in the affirmative led a lot of students to believe that the SGA was unconcerned with their opinions,” Domangue said.
This new article in the SGA Constitution would prevent the senate from voting to officially take a stance on anything that will go up for a student vote.
As stated in the amendment, “the purpose of this section is to show the Senate’s commitment to being reflective of all the unique views of members of the student body.” If the senate agrees with this legislation, it will go before a student vote in the spring of 2004 for final approval.
This legislation states that senators, acting individually, may express their opinions on any issues that will be presented for student vote, but as a collective body, they will remain neutral to represent the students of Nicholls.
This amendment would also limit the Judicial Board and Executive Board from taking an official stance either for or against an issue that would go up for a student body vote. According to Domangue, the Executive Board would be allowed to act in an educating capacity to explain upcoming legislation to students.
Domangue feels this legislation will aid the student senate in better representing the opinion of the student body as a whole.
“So far, I have gotten positive feedback from other senators and from members of the Executive Board. There are a few concerns about issues that may come up in the future that the senate would no longer be able to take stances on, but amendments are always likely in legislation,” she said.
Under this legislation, a public stance would include but is not limited to any publication of articles, letters or opinions to campus media outlets or the posting of flyers and signs around campus. Also, the senate neutrality section would be limited to referendums and issues submitted for vote in general student elections only.
“I invite all students who wish to give input on this legislation to attend the SGA meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 19 at the plantation Suite in the Student Union. I am open to any suggestions students may have to better the legislation,” Domangue said.