Disguised Disease…

Bacterial meningitis can strike the college campus quickly and kill anything in its path

Nineteen-year-old Allison Vizinat, a sophomore at Southeastern Louisiana University, and 15-year-old Louis H. “Trey” Lange III, a 10th-grader from the Baton Rouge area, knew they were ill in the middle of December, but they thought it was a case of the flu — a curable disease.
But, less than two days after each were diagnosed by a physician and about a week apart, the two teenagers died. It was something much more serious.
They were victims of bacterial meningitis, an infection of the fluid in the spinal cord and the fluid surrounding the brain. The disease, caused by any one of many types of bacteria, can cause severe damage to the body, including brain damage and even death.
“When it strikes, it strikes quickly. It’s the type of thing which is unpredictable,” Jimmy Guidry, state health officer, said. “You can be completely healthy, get sick and in a few hours you can be at death’s door.”
Bacterial meningitis attacks about 3,000 Americans each year, including more than 150 on college campuses, leading to about 10 deaths among college students every year, according to the Meningitis Foundation of America.
The bacteria causing the disease usually live harmlessly in a person’s mouth and throat, but in rare instances, can break through the body’s immune defenses and travel to the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord. The bacteria multiply quickly and soon cause the membranes around the brain and spinal cord to become swollen and inflamed, beginning meningitis.
Among college students, the disease is transmitted through saliva exchanges such as kissing or sharing drinking containers, utensils, cigarettes and toothbrushes. Living in close conditions such as residence halls increase the risks.
“It primarily affects students living in dorms, especially new freshmen,” Kim Brannagan, director of University Health Services, said. “So many students are making decisions on their own for the first time and that could lead to carelessness when it comes to health. They will engage in drinking, smoking and just an unhealthy lifestyle. That makes students susceptible to all sorts of ailments.”
The bacteria spread through direct contact with the fluids from the nose or throat of an infected person are not highly contagious, and they are not spread by casual contact or breathing the air where an infected person has been.
Common symptoms of the disease include high fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, confusion and fatigue. Bruises may sometimes develop under the skin and spread quickly. Some patients may even experience seizures.
Anyone can get bacterial meningitis, but it is most common among infants, children and college students. People who have had close or prolonged contact with a meningitis patient can also be at increased risk. Healthy children and young adults are always susceptible.
Cases of bacterial meningitis should be reported to state or local health authorities so they can follow and treat close contacts of patients and recognize outbreaks. People who are close contacts of a person with meningitis can be given antibiotics to prevent them from getting the disease.
“If someone comes down with those symptoms and feels like they are coming down with meningitis, they need to go directly to the emergency room,” Brannagan said. “They must not waste any time or it may be too late.”
Survivors of the disease may experience permanent brain damage, kidney failure, learning disability, hearing loss, blindness, limb damage causing amputation, gangrene or remain in a coma.
Bacterial meningitis can be diagnosed by a combination of blood and spinal cord fluid samples that show growing bacteria. Identification of the type of bacteria responsible for the meningitis is critical for the selection of correct antibiotic treatment.
Severe cases of bacterial meningitis can lead to brain damage, coma and death. Survivors of serious cases can suffer long-term complications, including hearing loss, mental retardation or paralysis.
Early diagnosis and treatment can improve the likelihood of recovery. Bacterial meningitis can be treated with a number of effective antibiotics.
Vaccinations for fighting bacterial meningitis are effective against four of the five most common bacterial types that cause 70 percent of the disease in the United States. Vaccinations become effective in seven to 10 days, with protection lasting four to five years. Common side effects from the vaccine include redness and minor pain at the injection site for up to two days.
“We have nurses on campus for five days a week for about five hours a day to give the vaccine,” Brannagan said. “It may cost a little bit, but what is that to saving your life? Bacterial meningitis is a very serious issue right now, and students should be aware of that.”
The vaccination is available by appointment at University Health Services in Betsy C. Ayo Hall for $60 a person. To schedule appointments, students should visit the office or call (985) 448-2600. Did you know?

Viral Meningitis is more common than the bacterial form, but generally less serious – although it can seem worse. Many different viruses can cause it. Some are spread between people by coughing or sneezing, or through poor hygiene. Others can be found in sewage-polluted water. It can last up to three weeks. In mild cases of viral meningitis, people would not even go to the doctor. However, as the symptoms are similar to the bacterial form, someone with a severe case of viral meningitis will need to be admitted to a hospital for tests to find out which form they are suffering from. Antibiotics cannot help viral meningitis and treatment is based on good nursing care. Recovery is normally completed, but headaches, tiredness and depression may persist.

Source: Meningitis Foundation of America