Colonels soccer team drops heartbreaker to McNeese

McNeese State scored two second half goals to come from behind and defeat the Colonels soccer team 2-1 in Southland conference action held at the Colonels’ soccer field Sunday.
The Colonels (2-9, 0-4 SLC) scored first when junior middle fielder Sabrina Bledsoe slid a kick past McNeese goaltender Toni Deason at the 35:40.
McNeese’s Allison Arnold scored two goals within one minute to give McNeese a 2-1 lead and the win.
Against McNeese, the Colonels produced 18 shots in the first half with only one goal to show for it.
“We have to learn how to win. We get that one goal and I think we try to sit back and try to hold on to the game with just a one-point lead, and that is not enough. We have to go out and put teams away,” Jim Zakel, Nicholls head soccer coach, said.
“We let McNeese stick around, and they got two quick ones, and that was it.”
Despite having a broken right arm, junior goalkeeper Lindsay Bartlett produced eight saves for the Colonels.
Zakel said Bartlett’s strength and determination is impressive considering her injury.
“She has played exceptionally well with one arm, and she has exceeded my expectations. That is like asking a point guard in basketball to play with one arm,” Zakel said. “The opposing coaches are commenting as well on how impressed they are with her.”
“It’s just frustrating. I feel pretty bad about everything because I feel like I am letting everyone down. But I am going to try to do my best,” Bartlett said.
Zakel said he is disappointed with the Colonels’ performance in the attack zone, or the final third section of the field by the Colonels’ offensive goal.
“We play well everywhere else but in the attacking part of the field, and that is where we break down. We just can’t finish,” Zakel said.
Despite the injury to Barlett, the Colonels have other injuries plaguing the roster. In the McNeese game, senior midfielder Roxanne Gonzalez sprained her ankle. She is listed day-to-day for Sunday’s game against Sam Houston.
Zakel said freshman midfielder Tori Priddie is out for the season after fracturing three bones in her face and needs surgery to place two plates in her face.
“She is arguably our best freshman, and we miss her. She is one of our creative players offensively, and hopefully we can get her redshirted,” Zakel said.
Junior defender Lynn Simmons is also on the injured list with torn ligaments in her foot.
The Lady Colonels will continue their season with two consecutive home games starting tomorrow at 4 p.m. against Sam Houston and continuing Sunday at 1 p.m. against Texas State.