Cheerleading team receives help from new coach

The Nicholls cheerleading team plans for some adjustments with the help of a new coach that has a strong vision for the team.Jack Hart, marketing senior from Marrero, is coaching the squad with hopes of totally reconstructing the Nicholls cheerleading program.

“Our main goal for next year is to totally re-do the cheerleading team. We want to compete and prove that we can be as good as any of the other teams around,” Hart said.

This is not the first time Hart has been involved with the Nicholls cheerleading team. He has cheered on and off for the team since 1993 and was also captain of the team at one point.

The cheerleading team receives funds each semester like every other sport. However he said, the team is under-funded and Hart must volunteer his time to the team. In the past, the team has not done much fund-raising, which has affected its current financial situation. Hart does not mind, though.

“I decided to take this job because I love the Nicholls cheerleading team. I want to bring something to it that hasn’t been brought to it before. I don’t think there are many people around here that have the experience to be able to coach the team, and they don’t exactly have the funds right now, so I’m donating my time,” Hart said. “Right now I’m focusing on just getting it together and making them presentable. I’ve competed on teams throughout New Orleans, and I’ve won nationals. I want to bring these guys the feeling that I got when I won nationals.”

Not only does Hart have high expectations for the cheerleading squad to come, but its current members are also hoping to revamp.

“We’re expecting to go to camp and have a bigger bond than what we’ve had before,” Jenny Matherne, mass communication junior from Des Allemands and last year’s captain, said. “I can’t wait for this summer and for football season.”

According to Matherne, the cheerleading team has not been to camp in a while. This year, depending on finances, they will possibly be attending camp and may even be competing.

“There’s a good chance we’ll compete if we have the money,” Matherne said.

Recruitment is an option that Hart is taking full advantage of. Hart said he has been looking for the best recruits he can find.

“I have actually been trying to get in contact with all the high schools in Louisiana. I will mainly be recruiting from the Houma-Thibodaux area. I’ve also been recruiting in New Orleans individually.”

Hart is looking for a well-rounded cheerleader who can cheer, dance, stunt and make the grades. Hart says he will be pushing academics next year. He is even considering a mandatory study-time for the cheerleaders.

Next year’s team will be a small co-ed team, which normally consists of 12 females and about four males. Four females and three males from last year’s team will be returning to try-out for the coming year. Even though they were on the team last year, they must try-out again.

“We’re trying to make it as fair as possible. It’s a good opportunity for the average sized girl to make the team unlike a lot of colleges where they have weight and height requirements,” Hart said. “We’re looking for an overall great cheerleader with good motions and the ability to pick up the material quickly. I would also like some girls and guys that tumble. Even if they don’t [tumble] now, they can still make the team and learn how to later.”

Not only is the ability to be a skillful cheerleader necessary, but dedication and passion for the sport is a definite requirement, according to Hart.

“I want people who want to compete. I want people who have drive and the willingness to push through and give it their all. Cheerleading is not like any other sport or group. It is a year long commitment.”

Visit www.colonelsports.com/ cheer_news.html for try out information and requirements, or E-mail Hart directly at [email protected].