Tebow brings country to one knee

Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow kneels on the sidelines before an NFL divisional playoff football game against the New England Patriots Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012, in Foxborough, Mass.

Tim Tebow made more of an impact on the NFL this season than any other player in the history of the sport.

So what if the Denver Broncos were blown out 45-10 by the New England Patriots in the divisional round of the playoffs? This team and Tebow have plenty to be proud of.

In one mediocre season in the NFL that saw Tebow complete 46.5 percent of his passes, throw for 1,729 yards, pass for 12 touchdowns with six interceptions and rush for six more touchdowns, he became the most popular athlete in sports according to an ESPN poll.

And do not think for a second it is because of those numbers that were just mentioned. Tebow’s humility and God-praising attitude won America over. And not to mention, this guy was winning football games and winning them in such a fashion that people started to believe it was divine intervention.

According to a poll taken by Poll Position, 43 percent of the 1,076 people they surveyed said they believed divine intervention was at least partly responsible for his success.

How else could you explain Tebow’s six fourth-quarter comebacks and seven game-winning drives in 2011? Or what about the playoff victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers that saw Tebow and the Denver Broncos defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers in overtime 29-23 last week?

Oh, and by the way, Tebow threw for 316 yards and his coach’s first name is John. Remind you of any famous bible verses?

Whether you believe it was divine intervention or not, you have to appreciate what Tebow has been able to do this season. This guy has been doubted since day one, and he has proved to everyone that he can win in the NFL.

I do not care if he completed 9-of-26 passes and failed to get anything going against the Patriots because he was not even supposed to be there. He was not supposed to be a starting quarterback in the NFL, and he definitely was not supposed to win.

He was not supposed to turn into this All-Pro quarterback when the game was on the line either, but in the fourth quarter, Tebow’s average quarterback rating would rise from 71.4 to 81.3. He was not supposed to take a 1-4 team and make them an 8-8 playoff team either.

Or what about winning six games in a row in such a fashion that if fans were watching it in a movie, they would throw popcorn at the screen and say there is no way that would ever happen in real life.

But that is Tebow, and that is what is so infectious about this player. Whether he was bending down on one knee and praying, flying people with health problems out to Denver and treating them like kings and queens or defying the odds on the field, Tebow made the biggest impact in the NFL this season.

Obviously, it was more than just Tebow that helped the Broncos elevate their game and win dramatically. It was a team effort, but Tebow showed those in the NFL that did not follow his college career at Florida that he’s an incredible leader that can win football games without the skill that Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees possesses.

He did not break Dan Marino’s all-time passing yards record, but he inspired a nation with his love for the game and love for his savior, Jesus Christ.

It was somewhat of a “Rudy” story for the NFL. A guy that many so called experts viewed as unqualified for the NFL played and won.

He brought inspiration to those in need and gave hope to every hard-working citizen that was always told they were never good enough.

Tebow might not be one of the best quarterbacks in the league and he may never be good enough to lead his team to a Super Bowl victory, but one thing is for sure—this season will always be remembered as the year Tebow defied the odds and made the largest impact on the NFL in the history of the sport.