The UFC Has Arrived… Without ESPN

It is time for the Ultimate Fighting Championship to turn the page and create a new chapter that will capture mainstream audiences.

With the new Fox deal, the UFC is about to feature Pay-Per View quality bouts on free television, and the exposure created by Fox will undoubtedly increase the UFC’s revenue and increase the popularity of Mixed Martial Arts.

Pretty soon, names like Junior dos Santos, Jon “Bones” Jones, Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen will become household names, and it will not be because of any favors given out by ESPN.

Recently, ESPN interviewed one of the owners of the company, Lorenzo Fertitta, about the company becoming a Monopoly after UFC president Dana White refused to do the interview.

ESPN aired the segment during Outside the Lines Sunday, and it tweaked the interview and kept segments out of the interview that told the complete story from the UFC’s perspective. After becoming enraged with the nine-minute feature on ESPN, White released videos showing the interview in its entirety.

Basically, ESPN and the UFC are going to war with one another, and I have a feeling the UFC is going to come out the victor in this one.

ESPN has never given the UFC their fair share of coverage after it was completely obvious that the general public has fallen in love with the sport. The UFC’s debut on Fox in November peaked near nine million viewers, and you can expect that number to grow each and every time they are featured on Fox.

After seeing all the UFC ads during NFL playoff games, I would not be surprised to see the UFC reach 14 million viewers on Jan. 28. The bottom line is the UFC became the PPV king without the help of ESPN, and they are going to continue to grow despite the lack of coverage from the “Worldwide Leaders of Sports.”

And do not think White’s not going to hold a grudge against ESPN. This is the same guy that held a grudge against EA Sports after they refused to make a UFC game.

Once they saw how well THQ did with UFC’s Undisputed series, they came begging to make a UFC game, but White would have none of it and stuck with THQ.

What is ESPN going to do when the UFC does notallow video footage for them to show during Sports Center in the next couple of years? I am not saying White’s going to do that, but nothing White does will surprise me.

ESPN or no ESPN, the UFC is about to shake things up and gain tremendous popularity starting tomorrow with a free fight card on FX.

The UFC will then follow that up next week with a free fight card on Fox featuring Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis, Chael Sonnen vs. Mark Munoz and Michael Bisping vs. Demian Maia.

Might as well jump on the bandwagon now, because it looks like the UFC’s going nowhere but up from here.