Uncovering the deceptive shadows

Nicholls professor discovers the truth in his latest book about the lasting impressions significant trials have made on Americans

High-profile criminal trials throughout history have created much drama and make for unique news stories. The audience is often captivated by the crime, its proceedings and ultimately, the verdict. Most of those stories, however, can seem short-lived and forgotten.
But in Lloyd Chiasson Jr.’s fifth and latest book, “Illusive Shadows: Justice, Media, and Socially Significant American Trials,” the professor of mass communication and his contributors explore the lasting impression of 10 such trials in history that have made a significant impact on American culture.
Spanning more than 300 years — from the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 to the Matthew Shepherd trials of 1999 — Chiasson developed the book as an extension of his third volume dealing with a similar topic. Published in 1997, “The Press On Trial” explains the media coverage of selected trials and their historical backgrounds.
“This book has also made an improvement from the first one,” Chiasson said. “The new book looks at those two things, but the main focus here is the historical significance the trials have made on American history, not just during its time.”
Chiasson’s goal was to demonstrate how the trials and the ensuing media coverage have changed the way people think, the way institutions function and opinions formed by the public. While the collection of trials deals with witchcraft, slavery, religion and radicalism, in many ways, it’s the story of America.
“Every one of the chapters and trials in the book has been written in complete books by other authors,” Chiasson said. “But I try to make each one of the chapters so well-written, informative and interesting that, although it may be shorter, it’s the best written piece about those trials. I truly feel we’ve achieved that.”
As with his other books, Chiasson prefers using anecdotes to begin and end each chapter, a technique he deems a must for the average reader to understand and enjoy. Instead of making the text sound “academic,” Chiasson employs his signature storytelling style.
In “Illusive Shadows,” he edited every manuscript from the contributing writers and authored the introduction, conclusion and the first chapter — The Salem Witch Trials of 1692.
Dr. Alfred Delahaye, professor emeritus of mass communication, wrote the final chapter of the book dealing with the Matthew Shepherd trials of 1999. Chiasson said the final chapter connected many elements throughout the book into one chapter. “It’s beautifully written and, in many ways, it summarizes the entire book,” he said.
Delahaye, who has written a book of his own about the history of Nicholls and has contributed to Chiasson’s books in the past, said he enjoys working with his friend.
“The great thing about being retired is that I have been able to do more research that I ever did when I was a classroom teacher and an administrator,” Delahaye said. “I think the Shepherd crime and the media coverage was very intriguing, and it gave insight to how society receives gay issues and hate crimes.”
As an editor, Chiasson develops the idea for content, organizes it and queries publishing companies that may be interested in printing the book. Chiasson also searches for experts around the nation who specialize in the book’s field of study.
In addition to “Illusive Shadows” and “The Press On Trial,” Chiasson has edited and written “Reporter’s Notebook” (1991), “The Press In Times of Crisis” (1995) and “Three Centuries of American Media” (1999) — a textbook Chiasson uses for one of his classes.
He teaches print journalism and public relations classes, and he is currently working on a few short stories and a novel he hopes will be published within the next couple years. A specialist in literary journalism and media history, Chiasson has also been a news reporter for daily newspapers in both Louisiana and Vermont.
Chiasson has been a professor at Nicholls since 1991. He earned his doctorate degree from Southern Illinois University in 1982, his master’s from the University of Arizona in 1976 and his bachelor’s from LSU in 1970.
Because of his expertise and contributions to the media, Chiasson has been awarded opportunities to travel overseas. He earned a Fulbright scholarship to teach media classes in Latvia in 1999, and he was invited to make a series of presentations in Nigeria and Kenya in 1998. He also led a group of students from the Nicholls Honors Abroad program to Plymouth, England this past summer.
“I enjoy traveling so much and representing Nicholls,” Chiasson said. “Any time you travel, you learn so much. I love to learn about other societies. Each country is unique, no question about it.”
Chiasson, whose books have sold as well to the general public as they have to academic audiences, said of all his books, “Illusive Shadows” is the best-written volume he has edited.
“Maybe that’s in part to the writers’ efforts or improved editing on my part,” Chiasson said, “but I think anyone of any age can pick up this book and enjoy it.”
Distributed by Praeger Publishers, the 248-page book is available online at http://amazon.com. The hardcover version costs $74.95, and the paperback is $27.95.