Nicholls introduces new logos, taglines

The Nicholls community has begun phasing in the new University and athletic logos, which were introduced on May 12 and will gradually be faded in throughout the upcoming years.The University logo, the word “Nicholls” with “State University” beneath it focuses on two aspects, Stephen Hulbert, University president, said at the unveiling ceremony. “We want to have people identify us by this one word (Nicholls) and consistently use it in public while also positioning ourselves as a state university and part of a larger group of state universities,” he said.

The athletic logos consist of a three-dimensional “N” with a sword, a plain “N” and an “N” with “Colonels” in the center. The stand-alone “N” will also be used as a University emblem. The primary colors remain red and gray with the addition of four new accent colors.

Lapham/Miller consulting firm, which was hired for $49,000 to complete the re-branding process, also came up with new University tag lines: Academic strength, dynamic university, path to success, personal attention, sense of family and vibrant, welcoming culture.

Hulbert said prior to the branding process, the use of the University symbols were “haphazard.” “For the first time we will instruct the campus in every way how to use the logos,” he said.

Hulbert said as new supplies, such as stationary and business cards, are re-ordered this summer, the new Nicholls marks will be used. After a certain point, the University will request that all updated stationary be used for correspondence sent off-campus. Old stationary will be used up within the University.

“The intention is not to simply stop using the old logos,” Hulbert said. “That would be too costly and a waste of resources.” The old “N” with a sword will also still be in use.

Rob Bernardi, athletics director, said the athletics program will progressively move toward the new logos as uniforms are replaced. Simple changes, such as replacing the decals on football helmets and replacing baseball caps, will be ready for the next season.

“We are pleased with the new logos,” Bernardi said. “Most of the athletic department liked the ‘N’ with a sword, and the changes that were made really enhanced it.”

Angelle Caillouet, bookstore manager, said new merchandise is expected to arrive in four to five weeks. Caps, polo shirts, T-shirts and other items the bookstore typically sells were ordered with the new symbols.

“We’re not stuck with too much old stuff, but couldn’t just wait until all the old items run out to re-order,” Caillouet said. “It will take a while to get rid of some of the items with the old logo, such as caps and key chains, but we’re definitely looking forward to the new merchandise coming in.”

Courtney Cassard, director of enrollment services, said the admissions staff is excited about the consistent messaging that the new logos will bring to the University. The staff has ordered new banners and promotional materials to retool their office and expects the new recruiting materials to be ready for 2006-07 entering freshmen.

“Anything that’s consistent helps us out in recruiting,” Cassard said. “The new logo is clean. It’s classic. It’s elegant. It will speak to the kind of students we are looking for.”

The mascot caricature was not an issue raised in the marketing/re-branding committee this year, Hulbert said. He expressed that the issue could be revisited in the fall if there is discussion in the Student Government Association regarding a physical mascot.

“This past year we had two silk banners with the ‘N’ with a sword,” Hulbert said, describing what replaced Tillou on the football sidelines last fall. “Campuses with mascot names that don’t lend themselves to mascots use silk flags. This will be in place again this fall.”

Damian Breaux, SGA president, said he has not set out a plan for handling the mascot discussion. When asked whether he saw a need for a physical mascot, he said, “I guess so, but not really. I see the need for one to get pumped up, but the crowd should be more genuine. The mascot should be secondary after the athletic teams themselves.”

The top complaints the SGA heard last year included parking, tuition and the recreation center, Breaux said. “Students didn’t really focus on the mascot issue. It’s coming from a select group of students that actually care about it.