Bonin resigns as Lady Colonels head basketball coach

Former Lady Colonels basketball coach Louise “Do” Bonin resigned as head basketball coach Jan. 6 after 10 years on the job.
Bonin will retain her duties as associate athletics director and women’s administrator, which she has held for the last eight seasons. Associate head coach Sue Syljebeck will serve as interim head coach for the remainder of the season.
As associate athletics director and women’s administrator, Bonin will supervise all of the women’s programs with the exception of women’s basketball.
In a quote from Sports Information on Jan. 6, athletics director Rob Bernardi said the many responsibilities placed on Bonin’s shoulders were becoming overwhelming.
“I felt at this time a change was needed,” Bernardi said. “The burden of having two full-time jobs, head basketball coach and associate athletics director had become overwhelming for Do. At this time, I think she can best serve our athletic department as a full-time administrator.”
Bonin said she was preparing herself for a position in the administrative side of Nicholls athletics and is ready to give her full dedication to it.
“This is something (the administration side) that I have been positioning myself for the last couple of years to do. I certainly wouldn’t have ever taken on both jobs if I didn’t think I had a future in administration,” Bonin said.
During a team meeting to announce her resignation, Bonin said facing her team was one of the toughest jobs she ever faced.
“That was probably one of the toughest things I ever had to do in my entire coaching career,” Bonin said. “They fought hard for me all year even though the wins had not been there. I just think they were a pretty terrific group and it was really difficult.”
Despite the Lady Colonels’ 1-10 start this season, Bonin said the coaching change was not made because of the team’s performance.
“I have never abandoned a team regardless of the circumstances. I’ve been in those positions before, and it had nothing to do with 1-10,” Bonin said. “I just feel like I can best serve this University and athletic department now in an administrative capacity.”
As a player under Bonin for two and a half seasons, junior guard Lisa Lawrence said she was disappointed to see Bonin leave but supports her decision.
“I was used to her coaching style, so it hurts to see her go,” Lawrence said. “Things happen for a reason, and we still love her and are still behind and support her.”
In her ten seasons as coach, Bonin leaves as second place in all-time career wins with 62. She was named Southland Conference Coach of the Year following the 1998-99 season after leading the Lady Colonels to a 13-14 overall record and 11-7 conference record.
Bonin, a New Iberia native, spent her college days playing for Northwestern State. She earned her bachelor’s degree in 1977 and a master’s degree in secondary administration in 1983.
Syljebeck, who enters her fourth year with the program, is a 29-year old native of Hebron, Ill. Prior to becoming interim head coach, Syljebeck served the team as the recruiting coordinator and oversaw scouting, defense and post play,
As a player, Syljebeck was a standout at McHenry County Community College in Crystal Lake, Ill., and at the University of New Orleans. During her senior season at UNO, Syljebeck averaged 12.6 points per game and 7.3 rebounds on her way to being named Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year and Most Valuable Player.