Coaches change in nine sports since 2003

University administrators said the coaching turnover during the past two years is not a problem unique to Nicholls and that the program remains strong despite the departure of nine head coaches in that time.Every Nicholls athletic program, aside from golf, has faced a head coaching change since December 2003. Most recently, baseball coach B.D. Parker retired, and track and field coach Agapius Amo was not reappointed.

“Unfortunately this is part of the business,” Bernardi said. “It is simply inaccurate to think this is a problem unique to Nicholls. Change is constant and inevitable and has similarly occurred at other schools within our own state.”

Bernardi pointed out that Southeastern University’s three-year old football program already has its second head coach. The University of New Orleans has had a complete athletics staff changeover, except in men’s basketball, he said.

Stephen Hulbert, University President, said in a press conference in early May that the quality of the coaching demonstrates clearly that the athletic program is continuing and strong.

“The football team was rocked by scandal, but a thin squad stepped forward and remained incredibly competitive,” Hulbert said. “It was the same situation in men’s basketball. There is no question about what the future of the athletic program is.”

Hulbert said the athletic program does not have the funds to competitively pay coaches, but have found several replacement coaches from within the Nicholls family to step up. Currently, there is a search to replace the track and field and baseball coaching positions.

Additionally, Robert Galinsky, current sports information director, was named coordinator of compliance at Nicholls to be effective July 1. Galinsky replaces Deanna Falcon who is retiring; a search is in progress to find a new sports information director.”Bobby has good communication skills, and that is important more than anything in that position since that person must communicate with so many constituent groups,” Bernardi said.