Lafourche teen won’t be charged in friend’s death

THIBODAUX, La.-A Lafourche Parish teenager who had faced a murder charge in connection with the December death of another teen he allegedly gave drugs to won’t be charged in the death.Shannon Morvant, 19, was found slumped over in the back seat of his friend’s car Dec. 19 after attending a party where alcohol and drugs were allegedly provided to underage partygoers.

Hardy Ledet, 19, whose brother owns the home where the party allegedly took place, had been accused of giving Morvant a prescription drug called Xanbar, used to treat anxiety.

The drug, a stronger form of Xanax, increases the effect of alcohol, and is listed in state law as a controlled dangerous substance.

Final autopsy results revealed that Morvant, a Nicholls State student, died after taking the prescription drug Clozapine, an anti-psychotic used to treat severe cases of schizophrenia.

Since Clozapine is not defined as a controlled dangerous substance in state law, police say they can’t charge Hardy Ledet with murder, although he is suspected of providing Morvant with the drug.

“Under the homicide law, one of the elements is that the substance has to be a controlled dangerous substance,” Lafourche Parish Sheriff Craig Webre said.

Webre said it was “a technical legal oversight that means the difference between a murder charge and a revocation of probation.”

Rose Morvant, Shannon’s mother, said, “I think the Legislature needs to rewrite the law.”

A Lafourche Parish District Attorney report said Ledet has been sentenced to three years in prison by state District Judge Jerome Barbera III for violating his probation, which he did by handing out drugs at the party.

During a court hearing held earlier this month, witnesses testified Ledet distributed substances during the party that Morvant attended that he claimed were Xanbar and marijuana, the report states.

Barbera found that Ledet’s actions constituted either distribution of a controlled dangerous substance or of substances that he represented as such, both felonies.

The judge revoked Ledet’s probation based on the testimony of witnesses who saw him distribute drugs, but not for any involvement in Morvant’s death, the report said.

Webre said although Morvant might have taken Xanbar at the party, toxicology tests could not detect enough of the drug to warrant charges against Ledet.

“We have witnesses who say he offered drugs, but we don’t have the drugs themselves,” said Webre, who added that alcohol was found in Morvant’s body but was not believed to have contributed to his death.