Homecoming week plans underway

Homecoming week is already under construction, and according to Diane Garvey, director of residence life and homecoming committee member, “the house is not built, but the foundation is laid.” Homecoming week is being planned early, and the committee says it is seeing satisfactory results so far.”I’m not saying we can have homecoming tomorrow, but I am saying that if someone said homecoming was going to be changed to two weeks from now we would be able to do it,” Deborah Raziano, director of alumni affairs, said. “We haven’t been able to say that for a long time, so we are happy with the results we have gotten so far.”

“Calling All Colonels… Knock ‘Em Out, Make ‘Em See Stars” is the overall theme for homecoming. A design that will be used for T-shirts containing the theme is currently being created. A few different sketches have already been drawn and presented to the committee.

Instead of color t-shirts, the committee suggested white T-shirts to cut the costs for students.

“We did white T-shirts forever, which kept the price down,” Raziano said. “If we go back to the white T-shirt, that’ll save students a couple of dollars right there.”

There is a separate committee for students that will develop activities under the leadership of Leah Talbot, English technical writing junior from Thibodaux and student subcommittee chair.

The student committee suggested having a flag football game with men and women’s employee and student teams during homecoming. Admission would be one canned good and total donations would be given to a local food bank.

The student committee also suggested a community service event. This will give students the opportunity to visit community members, asking for canned goods as donations, and, at the same time, let them know about homecoming events.

The student committee also suggested a barbeque on the Friday of homecoming week to “carry the events through to the weekend game.”

The committee is already seeking convertibles for the parade. Anyone interested in offering his or her convertible for the parade can contact the alumni house at 448-4110.

Students can propose ideas for the preparations and activities that will be made for homecoming week. Dates and times of the homecoming committee meetings will be announced via student E-mail, Talbot said. Meetings are open to any student interested in getting involved.

“What we’re here to do is brainstorm and plan events for students,” Talbot said. “The next meeting will be sometime in May.