White Castle native Depron turning heads for Colonels basketball team

Coaches find rare talent in Depron and praise his abilities as a team leader.

In his first season with the Colonels basketball team, White Castle native and junior guard Willie Depron has turned many heads with his play so far this season.
Depron is second in the Southland Conference with 16 points per game and first in steals per game. He leads the Colonels in rebounding, assists and minutes played. His coaches said his talent and impressive numbers is a bright spot for the team this season.
“I think it is easy to recognize his talent,” Colonels head coach Ricky Blanton said. “He is a very competitive player, and has been a tremendous asset to our program so far. We are glad he chose us because he has made us a much better basketball program.”
Since basketball is a game of confidence, Depron said it is important that the team plays with it for every play of the game.
“If I am going up the court with the ball, we are going to execute and score,” Depron said. “Coming back on defense, we are going to get a stop. We need to play every play like it is our last.”
According to assistant head coach Todd Russ, another important trait instilled in Depron is leadership.
“Willie is a great leader because he leads by example,” Russ said. “He encourages the other guys to play hard and make sure they are doing the right things on the court.”
When the Colonels are in the line of action on the basketball court, Depron said he uses his leadership skills to motivate his teammates.
“Half of the guys get tired, but I never let them know that I am tired,” Depron said. “I let them think ‘If Willie can do it, I can do it.’ I want to bring that toughness to the team, and I hope younger guys will go with it.”
After playing two years of junior college basketball at Southwest Mississippi, Depron said coming home to play basketball is a chance for his friends and family to watch him play basketball.
“It felt good because I have more people coming out to support me. I was in Mississippi for two years, and I was away from my parents. A lot of family and friends didn’t know what you’re doing, and you just fade away.”
Another reason Depron wanted to play basketball at Nicholls was fellow White Castle native and former Colonels basketball star Todd Russ joined the Colonels coaching staff before the season.
While watching Russ play at White Castle when Depron was younger, Depron said Russ was a role model for him and many other younger people in White Castle.
“Russ was one of the guys I looked up to when I was in high school. I went to high school games when he was a star point guard, and after the game, everyone would go on the court and call out names of their favorite basketball players and I would be Russ.”
Russ said he has known Depron for years, and that his basketball skills really have not changed.
“I have been watching the kid play since he was in sixth or seventh grade,” Russ said. “He has been playing with the same intensity and passion you see now, and the only thing that has changed is he has grown up and plays basketball with some bigger boys.”
Coming out of White Castle High School, Depron was a member of a squad that won four straight district championships and finished as a Louisiana State Finalist during his senior season. He averaged 25 points per game during his senior season, and was selected All-State First Team for three straight seasons.
With White Castle being a hotbed for basketball, Depron said the game is basically a religion there.
“White Castle is a basketball tradition,” Depron said. “If you’re an athlete, you are going to play basketball. If you go to the (basketball) park there, you better be ready to play.”