Remembering African American heroes

February is commemorated nationwide as Black History Month. Across the Nicholls campus, as many events have been planned to celebrate the achievements and heritage of black Americans. These events also celebrate the state of society today. Black Americans have contributed many of the luxuries and conveniences that we often take for granted. Can you imagine a world without shampoo, shaving cream or traffic signals? The inventor George Washington Carver worked to develop shampoo and shaving cream, something I’m sure we’re all grateful for. Garret Morgan invented the traffic signal, which is sometimes annoying when we’re stuck in traffic jams, but necessary nonetheless.

What sports buff could imagine a world without the “float like a butterfly, sting like a bee” footwork of the great boxer Muhammad Ali or the baseball legend Jackie Robinson? These athletes paved the way for such sports greats today as Donovan McNabb, Shaquille O’Neal and Roy Jones Jr.

Literature fans appreciate the work of the poet Maya Angelou and Alice Walker, famous for “The Color Purple.” These black Americans not only paved the way for current black authors, but also prominent women authors such as Toni Morrison, author of “How Stella Got Her Groove Back” and “Waiting to Exhale,” which were developed into popular movies.

Mass communication students can thank Frederick Douglass for his pioneering work in journalism with his anti-slavery publication, “The North Star.” VH1’s No. 1 pop culture icon, Oprah Winfrey, is famous not only for her television show, but also as an actress and producer. Winfrey serves as a role model for aspiring television personalities of all ages and races.

Nicholls is sponsoring many activities to celebrate Black History Month and also the 40th anniversary of Nicholls’ integration. Not only the 17 percent of the student body that is black, but every student on this campus should take part in the performances, exhibitions and displays that the University has planned to enlighten us and contribute to our knowledge.