Nicholls shelters need volunteers, supplies

Evacuation centers at Nicholls are calling for student, faculty and staff support through volunteerism and donations.Those willing to assist should check in at the Century Room at the football stadium. Volunteers will be provided a vest or something to identify them as a volunteer and will have to check out after finishing their duties.

“Students need to respect the privacy of our evacuees,” Maria Cruse, local chairperson for the American Red Cross and local physician, said. “We really, really want students to volunteer, but we don’t want people walking in and out of the gym without having signed in.”

Cruse said the centers are looking for volunteers with any special skills, whether it be computer literacy, foreign language or sign language knowledge, or counseling experience. She said skills learned in most academic programs can be incorporated. For example, volunteers are trying to organize a job resource center for evacuees and asking for assistance from business majors.

“This is a wonderful opportunity to have hands-on experience,” Cruse said. “This is better than what you can learn in a classroom. It’s also vice versa. It’s a wonderful opportunity for our clients to be able to receive those services.”

The Nicholls shelters are in serious need of women’s and men’s plus-size clothing. American Red Cross volunteers are also asking for colored paper, scissors, markers, socks and water for clothing distributors. Students with access to vehicles are also asked to pick up boxes and grocery bags from local stores for the shelters.

Leslie Domain, one of the Terrebonne Parish Office of Public Health nurses working in Stopher Gym, said they are also in need of medical supplies, gauze, adult diapers, soap and feminine hygiene products. She said evacuees have also requested old cribs, playpens, strollers and toys for children.

Other items Nicholls officials have asked for include: flip-flops, new underwear, clean towels, light blankets, pillows, hair brushes, hair conditioner and Vaseline.

To help Nicholls students directly affected by Hurricane Katrina, donations can be made to the Nicholls State University Foundation.