Students, staff volunteer to help storm survivors

About 1000 people from Thibodaux and the surrounding area have volunteered their time at the Nicholls shelters since Aug. 31, according to BISCO (Bayou Interfaith Sponsoring Committee) volunteer coordinators.”We have people who showed up the first day and have come back every day since,” David Gautahe, a BISCO volunteer coordinator, said. “It has been very rewarding to see such a large influx of volunteers.”

Gautahe attributes the large number of volunteers to word of mouth.

“We have asked the people who came to ask someone else they knew to come with them the next day,” Gautahe said.

All services provided by the shelters have been organized and carried out by volunteers. Services range from food distribution to manicures.

“I found that the people are really grateful for all the help, and the children are wonderful,” Heather Brinker, a Thibodaux High student, said. “They love playing with us and having their nails painted.”

Brinker said she has kept volunteering because she knows she’s helping people who have lost everything.

David Melancon, history sophomore from Thibodaux, said he has been volunteering in the distribution tents since Aug. 31.

“I get here early in the morning and don’t leave until 10 p.m. because I stay to play ball with the children,” Melancon said. “Volunteering makes me more appreciative of what we have. I just wish there was more we could do. It is great that the city of Thibodaux has pulled together.”

Allayne Pizzolato, assistant vice president for academic affairs and one of organizers of the shelters, said she was surprised at the immediate turnout of volunteers.

“As soon as we opened the doors, they came pouring in,” Pizzolato said. “We started this shelter with very little government help, of our own volition you could say. That is where the voluntary spirit came together and saw us through.”

LaTonya Williams, 28, and Tory Zeno, 26, of Creative Sisters Hair Salon in Thibodaux have also volunteered their time and talents to the evacuees. They have set up a makeshift hair salon in the lobby of Shaver Gym.

“I asked God what can I do,” Williams said. “Then I realized I can use my hands.”

Evacuees have been lining up to get their hair done and say it is a spirit lifter. An evacuee known as “Nanna” said getting her hair done is the best thing she has done since she arrived in Thibodaux.

Churches in the area, including University Baptist and Thibodaux Family Church, have volunteered to perform services at Nicholls or transport evacuees to their buildings for services.