Shelter resident looks forward to future, moving on

Katrina has devastated the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. Kevin Nellum, evacuee from the Ninth Ward, is just one of them. But, he says the storm is not going to keep him down. He is looking toward the future and trying to find a stable life for his family.Nellum, 38, is married to Donna Foster, 35, and the couple has two sons, Cameron and Kevon, and two daughters, Kevinisha and Kevonita, all under the age of 15.

Nellum and his family were one of the last families to be rescued from the Ernest Morial Convention Center. He says he was very thankful for the chance he and his family had to escape New Orleans. But he says he had serious concerns when he arrived at Nicholls, which were the special needs of two of his children. Cameron has been diagnosed with autism, and Kevinisha also has a disability.

Nellum’s concerns were soon put to rest as volunteers came to the aid of his family. The shelter provided medicine refills and provided the special attention the children needed.

Nellum’s children have participated in trips to the park and the bowling alley and have attended puppet shows at the shelter.

Nellum says he is pleased with the help he is receiving from the volunteers at the shelter.

“They are handling us like human beings,” Nellum says. “They are not treating us like we are outsiders.”

Nellum was so impressed with the work the volunteers do that he started volunteering to help the other evacuees.

“I told them I wanted to help, but I wanted to be a floater,” Nellum says. “That means I don’t stay in one spot. I do everything. As I float from one place to the next, I stop by to check on my children and wife.”

Nellum’s first job as a volunteer was to clean the bathrooms.

“When I got here the bathroom was filthy,” Nellum says. “I checked it out, mopped, wiped it down. And, then it was looking good.”

Nellum’s duties range from cleaning bathrooms to taking out the garbage. He says the only thing he will not do is clean the showers. He says he does not approve of the way the other evacuees leave the shower area after using it.

“We are these people’s guests,” Nellum says. “They are going to judge us by the way we act, and if we disrespect them they may not want anyone from New Orleans coming back here.”

Nellum says he is not interested in returning to New Orleans after the water is pumped out.

“I do not want to go back there,” Nellum says. “I have seen them setting fires. It does not make any sense. I understand if you need to eat, but you don’t need to be stealing clothes. It is not about dressing right. It is about surviving.”

All four of his children have been registered for school, and he is hoping to find employment in the Thibodaux area.

“I am looking for a steady job,” Nellum says. “I was a dishwasher in New Orleans, but I am tired of doing that. I would like to try being a nurse’s assistant. But just a steady job would be good.”

Nellum has filled out applications that have been available at the shelters and attended the job fair on Tuesday.

Katrina bourght Nellum and his family to Thibodaux and took away the things they treasured, but the family is not looking back. At least for now, they plan to stay in Thibodaux and find their niche. Nellum says he will not stop trying until he does.