Black History Month celebrations to span whole spring semester

Although Black History Month is officially recognized in February, Nicholls is celebrating the occasion throughout the spring semester to acknowledge the accomplishments of black Americans. “This year we decided to extend the events through the semester because February is a nationally-recognized time period. This extension allows Nicholls to bring in more speakers and performers,” Michael Matherne, Director of Campus Recreation, said.

Since 1989, campus organizations have met every fall to discuss the events that will be held on campus for Black History Month.

This year several organizations are sponsoring an assortment of events including a concert, displays, exhibits, performances and educational films.

“An Evening With Mahalia” featuring Pearlette Carter, mezzo-soprano, will be held on Feb. 15 at 7:30 p.m. in Talbot Theater.

The concert will feature songs of Mahalia Jackson, gospel singer.

Sodexho Marriot Services and NSU Food Advisory Association will sponsor theme meals in Vernon Galliano Cafeteria on Feb. 19.

A buffet lunch influenced by African and Caribbean cuisine will be served from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Elder Danna Andrus, sponsored by the Student Programming Association, will deliver a speech on Feb. 21 in the Bollinger Student Union Snack Bar.

The inspirational speaker’s program will be geared towards college students, focusing on changes, choices and challenges for the 21st century.

Stanley Coleman, instructor of performing arts, will star in the one-man play “Paul Robeson,” presented by The Nicholls Players.

The mini-performances will be on Mar. 21 at 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. in Talbot Theater.

Full performances will be on Mar. 23 and 24 at 7:30 p.m. in Talbot Theater.

SPA is also sponsoring “Kenyan Drummers” on April 2 at 7:30 p.m.

The authentic demonstration of percussion instruments will be held in the Bollinger Union Snack Bar.

There are also several exhibits and displays located in Elkins Hall, sponsored by the University Counseling Center; in the lobby of the Bollinger Student Union, sponsored by the Residential Hall Association and in the lobby of NSU Career Services, sponsored by Career Services.

A special bibliography of African-American fictional works is available in the Allen J. Ellender Memorial Library.

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity and SPA are loaning educational film presentations, which may be checked out free of charge in the Student Life Office.

The Nicholls Post Office is selling commemorative stamps featuring Roy Wilkins, Minnesota native and civil rights leader.

“With all of the extensive planning, we’re sure that the celebration will be a success,” Matherne said.