Nicholls shelter to remain open indefinitely

The evacuee shelter at Nicholls has now been open for just over two weeks and is under the supervision of the National Guard, the Department of Social Services and the American Red Cross. The shelter will remain open indefinitely, according to Lieutenant Lance Beal, commanding officer of National Guard actions on campus.At press time there were around 900 evacuees in Stopher and Shaver Gyms and 75 evacuees housed in Betsie Cheramie Ayo Hall according to Michael Pooley, lead special needs shelter manager. Approximately 500 evacuees have been transferred to other cities or reunited with family members.

More than 150 children living at the shelter have registered with the Lafourche Parish School District. The shelter has asked for donations of school supplies for the evacuees.

About 100 National Guardsmen are working at the shelters. The National Guard, along with the help of local volunteers, has begun programs to assist the evacuees.

“We are here to provide support and security for the evacuees,” Beal said.

The Thibodaux Police Department, University Police, Nicholls administration, local churches and the Department of Social Services are also helping to support the shelter. The local community has donated all of the items provided for evacuees.

“The community has played a big part in this,” Specialist Josh Sigue, Beal’s administrative assistant, said. “If we did not have the support of the community it would fail. It would be like the other shelters with looting and things of that nature.”

The National Guard was initially stationed at Nicholls for security purposes, but has now found other ways to aid the evacuees.

“At first, we were ready for combat,” Beal said. “We had seen what happened in New Orleans, and we were ready to go. But we realized what these people needed was a shoulder to cry on.”

Daily activities are planned for the children. Thirty to 70 children a day participate in activities like bowling, basketball, puppet shows and trips to the park.

Volunteers have also begun organizing developmental activities with younger children in an area in Shaver Gym. This area could possibly become a preschool.

The Lafourche Parish School District has been providing transportation for the evacuees to the Social Security office, First American Bank and Trust and Wal-Mart.

The shelters are providing evacuees with services to replace important documents lost during the storm. Driver’s license duplication and new birth certificates have been made available to evacuees. They are also aiding evacuees in obtaining temporary Medicaid cards.