Colonels’ weekend filled with more than football

The scheduled game between Nicholls State Colonels and Cheyney University Wolves of Pennsylvania is still set to take place Saturday.The game marks the first time in history that the two schools will play each other.

Complications in travel arrangements raised questions as to whether or not the game can still be played. Since Hurricane Katrina affected all flights into New Orleans, the two schools were working together to find the easiest way into Thibodaux. Other options included flying into Baton Rouge or Jackson, Miss., then busing to Thibodaux.

Although no official word had been given on the status of the game earlier in the week, the Colonels still devoted all of this week’s practice to preparing for Cheyney.

“We really don’t know much about them,” Thomas said. “From the clips I’ve seen on them I can see that they have very athletic guys and a good bit of talent. It’s not going to be easy because we don’t know what to expect. From what I’ve seen they are a run oriented team but we’ve got to prepare ourselves for anything.”

Entering the game the Wolves are (2-1) winning 13-10 on a field goal in the final seconds last Saturday.

The Colonels are 23-11 all time in home openers and 1-0 under Thomas going into the game after last season’s opening day victory against Eastern Washington.

The Colonels opened their season last Saturday against Division I-A opponent Indiana last Saturday, after having cancelled it’s opener against Utah State on Sept. 3.

Going into the game against the Hoosiers, the Colonels were unsure about their original travel plans as well.

It took a little extra help, but with help from both the University of Indiana and the City of Thibodaux, the Colonels were able to travel to Bloomington for the game. Thomas gave his praise to those who assisted in allowing the game to be played.

“Mayor Charles Caillouet and the city had done a great job of helping us out,” Thomas said. “We received a police escort to and from the airport to help us get there on time.”

Indiana head coach Terry Hoeppner played a key role in getting the Colonels to Indiana.

“I just can’t say enough about Coach Hoeppner,” Thomas said. “We were on the phone two or three times this week. We had a chance to meet on Friday and Saturday before and after the game. He was a big part of getting us up there to play.”

Thomas also gave praise to the Hoosiers’ training staff and fans for their support.

“The training staff was unbelievable,” Thomas said. “They helped with everything from taping to loading and unloading of equipment to packing up our equipment after the game.”

Thomas said the whole weekend was about sportsmanship.

“The fans were good sports too,” Thomas said. “When our buses pulled up they took time away from the tailgating to greet us. After the game they shook our hands and said ‘good game’ and ‘our hearts and prayers are with you,’ it was just a first class trip for us.”

Once the trip was booked, a football game had to be played. Despite being overmatched on paper, the Colonels kept it close trailing by no more than 14.

Once everything was said and done, the Colonels found themselves in the middle of a tight football game, leading 31-28 in the fourth quarter. Indiana scored with 47 seconds remaining in the game to secure the 35-31 win for the Hoosiers.

“We never panicked as a team,” Thomas said. “We played with the same intensity from the beginning of the game to the end. We’ve got to give Indiana credit, they are a very well-coached football team but overall I’m very proud of how we competed considering everything we went through not practicing for a week and in the end it was a real competitive game.”

Although the result wasn’t what the Colonels had hoped, this past weekend proved to be more than just about football for the Colonels.

“It was neighbor helping neighbor and that’s what this country should be about,” Thomas said. “This weekend proved that it doesn’t matter whether a person is from the North or the South, we all live in the same country. It was about sportsmanship, and it was all shown this past Saturday.